whibley

Painting with a brush

You have my sympathies.

I'm stuck with the brush, I cannot risk any overspray from rattle cans as I live in digs. I've already drilled a hole in the table which I will end up having to pay for.

My first attempt at a 'hand job' was a perch pattern. Ended up looking like a six legged frog. It will NEVER see the light of day let alone a flash.

Now, I stick to abstract patterns and avoid straight lines like the plague.

You could tie the lure tightly by the eyes at each end, in a frame. This will allow you to turn the bait axially while using the brush, I haven't tried the idea myself. Let me know any of your tips. Good luck with it.

I second Cheesehead's recommendation to try aerosol paint.

Spray looks better than brush unless you are Michaelangelo. Then, try stencils for the details. An exacto knife and a plastic sheet will do that. You can screw up a STENCIL and easily cut another rather than screwing up the lure.

You have my sympathies.

I'm stuck with the brush, I cannot risk any overspray from rattle cans as I live in digs. I've already drilled a hole in the table which I will end up having to pay for.

Wood filler and Stain!

My first attempt at a 'hand job' was a perch pattern. Ended up looking like a six legged frog. It will NEVER see the light of day let alone a flash.

You could tie the lure tightly by the eyes at each end, in a frame. This will allow you to turn the bait axially while using the brush, I haven't tried the idea myself. Let me know any of your tips. Good luck with it.

See my post in this thread. Get back to me when you can.

You have my sympathies.

use upholstrey pins in the end where screw eye will be and use it as a popsickle stick to paint make a tree from a board small or or whatever with nails/scdrews and hang up to dry

I second Cheesehead's recommendation to try aerosol paint.

Spray looks better than brush unless you are Michaelangelo. Then, try stencils for the details. An exacto knife and a plastic sheet will do that. You can screw up a STENCIL and easily cut another rather than screwing up the lure.

use painters tape and clear tape draw/trace pattern onto clear place ontop of painters tape and xacto it out place painters tape on top and brush/spray away pull off while still wet BINGO

When all is said and done, why not just go to a Michael's Craft Store with one of their 40% off coupons from the newspaper and get yourself a cheapo $20 Badger single stage airbrush powered with Propel CO2. Spray your lures in the kitchen sink and clean up in 2 mins with a sponge and soap. OK, OK, I know ..... the sink is always full of dishes!

It's the action of the bait not the color. I HAVE an ab but with foiling on the sides, that takes up alot of area. I primed it white to begin with, so all I do is paint the back whatever color. And I just moved the compressor to another area in the basement to keep the noize down, but I haven't tried it yet. Brushing the color on the back is simpler and quicker.

whibley, I think it's fine to use the brush. You could try various model paints. Masking is not a bad idea. But, if you can get away with it on your campus (I don't think he has his own kitchen sink yet), drive a nail or pin into the bait, tie a string or fishing line to it, and suspend it from a nearby low hanging tree limb. Make sure you're nowhere near any nice cars or anything else that might catch your overspray. Then use the spray cans, and still use masking/etc. where necessary. You can get cool blending effects even with the cheap spraypaints by spinning the bait and spraying it while it spins. Like Husky said, the Krylon paints are good. I think they are worth the extra money.

I finally broke out the ab and did a perch scheme last night. It took more time to clean out the bottle for each color than it did to paint. And all I did was run some water/windex/ab cleaner thru the ab between colors til the spray ran clean. I dont think I could do the job as good with a brush. In the past I have taken 2 diff colors in spray cans and sprayed them at the same time to get a neat blend, a seamless area between colors. Good luck.