skeeter jones

Chrome paint???

Did a search could not find solid answer on chrome paint. I want to paint plastic baits with the chrome finish like a rattle trap. I bought some rust-oleum but it does not have that mirror finish. It's enamel and and I wondered how well acrylic would stick to it???

The Blue also looks as if it has a chrome effect as well...or it may just be transparent and the chrome base shines through it.

I had a thought when I started typing this... Has anyone used the spray they use to put on glass to make mirrors???

I finished my first lures the other night.. Boy was I pumped.. I'm hooked now.. Hope I remember to go fishing...

Thanks to all of you for your help

Curtis

The only real chrome paint that works is from Alsa Corp. called "mirror Chrome". You can now get it in rattle cans and they are called "killer chrome",but you have to use thier undercoat to make it work and together the kit is $149 I believe. If you don't mind spending the money it works and it does not dull under epoxy. They have a video that shows how it works. Here is the link: http://www.alsacorp.com/products/killercans/kc/killerchrome_prodinfo.htm

Rod

sj, I think you can see from the answers that no one has found something that is cheap and works. Closest that I've found is a silver leafing pen.

Nice thing about them is that they, like an airbrush, don't show any brush- type marks. But they also dull somewhat under a top coat.

One tip for anyone to consider is, using the gold or copper pens you can get some nice effects as a accessory color (fire tiger marks, dots, etc.)

I'm still looking. The lure manufactures are not buying 169.00 paint and putting it on 3.00 lures. Research so far indicated posible POP (plating on plastic) method. There is a 2 part paint process as well as a process called vacuum ?????(cant remember right now) that they use to put on cheap ballons.

Indy, that paint looks nice, my local distributor doesn't stock the chrome. but has some of the colors that change. Looks like it could be neat to use for a lure.

You are right Skeeter Jones...there are lots of ways to chrome plate plastic as well as other material but it is all expensive at least in the initial equipment purchase. The big manufacturers can do this because they sell in such large volume that is why they can sell lures for $2.99. If it was cheap and easy, everybody on this site would be using some type of chrome paint or plating. That is why most everyone uses foil for this effect.......FYI

Rod

The big manufacturers can do this because they sell in such large volume that is why they can sell lures for $2.99.

Exactly, retail price dont reflect the production investment, ROI could take years.

Vacuum metalisation is what most use to chrome plastic parts.

electroplating can be done after a copper paint base coat, yet still not cheap.

Foiling is the most affordable for diy'ers, but more labor intensive, once buffed out, they shine up nice.

Foiling isnt limited to foil tape, its the most convienent, but you could use a low mil aluminum foil, mylar, even leaf if applied right.

I agree rustoleum chrome is one of the best in the rettle cans (excluding Alsa's) but topcoat always kills it for me.

It's the way theyre made, they arent made to be topcoated.

I once had a "bright" idea to spray crome the "inside" of a clear body before gluing it up, didnt work, the underside of the paint is "dull" just as if it were topcoated.

I remember spaz stix, I though they were resellers for Alsa corp, judging by the price difference I guess I'm very wrong.

powder pait out of the question for plastics & thier ceramic paint needs to cure at 500 deg for an hour, but might be of some interest to the jig & wire guys.

13 bucks a can sounds much better, thanks for the link, if youve tried it or if anyone tries it please bring us a review.

Thanks again

I haven't got back to this post until today, I ran across the spaz stix today online by accident and see that fish devil has mentioned it. On the page I was looking at today the model looked great. 1 oz for 7-9 dollars and it can be used in a airbrush. Fish have you used the spaz stix??? I am trying to find a local dealer. I have one 20 miles away that can get it. I was going to buy online but a 7.00 product that cost 5.00 to ship is crazy.

I got my spaz stix mirror chrome in. I bought the prep spray too.. Don't bother with the prep spray it more for modle makers (rc) who are spraying the inside of the car. I tried spraying the mirror chrome (rallte can) to a primed lure(plastic) the finish will show every scratch the bait has. I decided to put a coat of devcon over a old rattle trap and then spray the mirror chrome. Wow!!! it looks good. I am letting it cure and will topcoat with epoxy tomorrow nite. I read on some forums the recommendation to use a water based black paint to spray on first. I used some acrylic that was not high gloss and the finish was poor.

Max, What type/brand of high gloss black paint do you use?

What about the topcoat?

I will update after I topcoat with epoxy.

I got my spaz stix from tower hobbies 3.5 oz spray can, mirror chrome 9.39 ... 1oz airbrush mirror chrome 6.79. I believe a little of the airbrush will go a long way.

If the epoxy over white was that good, then you should try the epoxy over the matt black. It should be even better. Just a thought.

This is very interesting to me, I will be trying this out soon. I hate foiling, do-able, but too fiddly and takes too long.

Im with you on the foiling as far as time consuming. I tried it on traps and it's hard to redo them in foil because they have a fin and line tie on top as well as the eyes are sticking out on the side. The rattle traps have a nice blue mirror color on top so blending in with an opaque color does not give the same effect. A friend of mine say's the blue and chrome is the only color the sandbass will hit. Im trying to duplicate the finish as close as possible. I bought some anodized blue paint at an auto store and it looked good over foils.

The finish did not dull under a epoxy clear coat. I don't have a camara yet to post pictures. I want to try some gloss black under the epoxy. The key to a nice finish appears to be to have a glass like surface, no scuffs or scratches,

I need to find a clear coat that will fill all the cracks, instead of eporxy for the prep work. I know there is an answer here on this site. Does anyone have a quick recomendation for a clear coat. Dick nite, minwax...looking for thin....