dampeoples

Storm Lure Kits

Took the kids to Target to get some stuff, and noticed that they have Storm lure kits, and the most interesting thing - they each have a Thunderstick and Wiggle Wart blank in them, I'd love to get my hands on some of the Warts without having to buy a $15 kit!! They've got Warts right under that for $4 each, could buy 4 and repaint them for that :)

I don't want to get into the "Original Wart" versus "2 piece Wart" versus "Even earlier but not Original Wart" debate ( IMO it's 75% hooey ). But the hot ones are the original Wart one piece mold models. I've got some of each series and find the originals were hard to tune and often were duds. But there's a bunch of guys out there getting them reconditioned and repainted rather than buy new ones, and prices for the old ones are going up fast. Storm now sez they've gone back to the original one piece mold but afficionados are doubtful. Since molds don't last forever, I wonder how many times the molds were changed back when Storm was making the Irreplaceable Original Wart? You gotta laugh at the craziness surrounding baits sometimes! :)

The original wart vs rapala ugly lip wart thing is 100% real. Just go to an Ozark lake...T-Rock, Beaver, LOZ, Bull...tie one of each on, and find out which fishes and catches better around the channel swings, gravel, and chunk rock. I've logged a lot of wart hours and the "new" original is really not even the same as the baits from the last few years pre-rapala. Also terrible approximations of the original colors.

Bob is right on regarding the original molds from the Storm family. There are a few different versions of the "original" bait, including a couple of years that were really a booger to tune. If memory serves, that was due to a fire at the plant and a re-tooling of the molds.

If you do some internet research, you can find some asian imports that are spot on for the original wart, and fish and paint well. Also some mag warts. Most of the manufacturers will sell to you if you are willing to buy in 1000ct lots.

Not a specific one. I purchased my first batch thru a gentleman named Gary Yu, who used to frequent The Old Site as well as this one. Last ones I purchased were in 2004 or 2005, from Mr. Yu's brother, as Gary is unfortunately deceased.

If I can find his e-mail I will PM you. There were several different companies making a version, and the name had changed along with the change in company contact.

The last batch I purchased were not as well made on first appearance, but when painted and fished, they perform more like the older warts (pre-pre Rapala).