Markell

Lead Question

O.K., I got my molds in and I am having a hard time pouring the smaller pieces. My question is this... I bought 10 lbs. of lead from a plumbing supply store. Thinking that it would be soft pure lead. When I try to scratch it with my fingernail it seems hard. Where can I get some real pure lead to see if this is my problem? Also, Is the finger nail test a good indication to use before buying it? I am thinking that the large ingots might seem harder than they really are. Thanks for all your help.

Coley, I am having problems with the do-it buzzbait mold (1/8 - 1/4 oz.) I am heating my lead in a hot pot 2. I have tried pouring several times without wires to heat the mold then pour with the hook and wire. I have had good results from the Hilts bullet weight molds. The opening seems to be larger in my hilts molds. I have tried slow steady pours and fast steady pours with the do-its. When I first received my hot pot, I melted down all my lead and made a bunch of smaller pieces that would be easier to work with. I know that I mixed hard lead with soft lead when I did this. Thanks for your help!

You can try smoking your mold with a candle. I pour 1/8 oz.

stand up spinner jigs, that have a hook and crane swivel in them

with no problems. I have never used a hot pot, I always use

a heavy alum pan (alum. melts at 1220 F) almost twice that

of lead. I use my fish cooker burner for heat. I make 3 pours in

the mold to get it hot, let it sit a minute with the lead in so it can

asorb the heat. I get my lead really hot, it takes on a purple haze.

You might use a dremel to make pouring hole larger, go slow.

Coley

Coley's right on. Smoking the mold will take care of most problems. If still having difficulties I would look at pouring temp next...find spinnerbaits/buzzbaits pour better at higher temps using a production pot. Think the lead has a tendency to cool around the hook eye and wire form, causing problems if you are pouring at a low temp. Somewhere around 7-9 works well for me with Lee pots.

Hey Markell. You can get good lead from the Bass Pro shop. Had the same problem and the lead does make a diff. ONe thing I noticed with mine is with the smaller pours it doesn't run in as fast so it maybe cooler. Make sure the mold is very hot. Pour several trial pours. Also you can heat the hook with a lighter and that will help. After so many pours it will get easier. Good luck.

Reeper

I fixed my problem. I had been smoking the mold before hand so that was not it. Out of frustration I got out the Dremel. I made the pour holes a tad bigger and it works perfectly. I get good results each time now. On a side note... I walked in to a sporting goods store today looking for lead. This place has a indoor shooting range and they get about 1000 pounds of lead build up each month. They sell it by the bucket full (bout 100 lbs) for $10. There are a lot of brass casings and wads but the price seems to be right. Thanks for the help.

I had some of the same problems with Do-It molds, and used some of the same fixes. Since you're using the Hot Pot, lay your mold across the top of it while it's heating up & whenever you have to take a break, this will help heat the mold initially, & then keep it hot. Just be sure the wooden handles are not against the Hot Pot.

I can pour spinnerbaits and buzzbaits out of just about any type lead. I even use tire weights. It doesn't take a soft lead for these. The only thing I use pure lead on is pinch-on weights. I do agree that the pure lead is a little easier to work with. I have to melt tire weights down outside on my fish cooker, clean all the trash off it, then pour it into peices that will fit into my production pot. I think the real secret is a hot, smoked mold. Also tilt the mold a little, this helps get all the air out as the lead flows in. :)