plop

skirts

Thanks for the info, I had a feeling that most builders would prefer to arrange their own color combo. I see a variety of strand width cuts such as "fine", "regular" and "wide". What do you prefer and why? Is it a case of the wide cut for jigs and the fine cut for spinnerbaits?

I'll add another question to this post - how do the skirt pliers work? I might make 100 skirts a year, I have the skirt 'pencil' but need bigger, longer skirts than those are made for. Also, does anyone know where to get either 7"+ silicone tabs or just bulk silicone? I'd like to make something like the 7" starflash skirts Stamina and Jann's now have. Thanks, later.

Plop, these are my preferences.

Silicone for Spinnerbaits and Chatterbaits because the have nice flash and many color combos.

Regular grade round (living) rubber for buzzbaits because it flairs out more than all the others and it helps to slow down the bait.

75%+ of my jigs have the FrogHair round (living) rubber because it breathes the best.

I will use silicone on my flip jigs if I want a larger profile and flash.

Again, if you hand tie your skirts on, not only will they stay on but the colors will stay where you put them ie: one color on top and another on the bottom. Also the collar will be a fraction of the size of a rubber collar and allow the skirt to flair much more nautral.

Mr B

I have to agree with Mr. B on the living rubber except that I use it on all my stuff at some point. It flares out very nicely. I just bought some off ebay that is a orange and a salmon color in the flat old style living rubber that the guy had taken the time to use a permenant marker and every about 12 inch make a line on both sides of 20 some feet. It makes the very best firetiger or perch that I have ever seen. I need to post a pic of it and I will.

You can get silicone skirt pads in 1/2 and 1 pound lots form Dennis Hatfield. He also has 9 inch long silicone pads which are much longer than the regular pads. He also carries skirt collars, wire forms and various blades.

The last time i talked to him he was wanting to expand his color line. But he buys the material in bulk rolls and cuts it himself...the bulk rolls are too expensive to buy if he cant move a particular color.

He drops in to read these forums on a regular basis. He commented that if the guys here could possibly get their heads together and act as a buying group it would be one step closer to allowing him to add more colors to his line. Ive ordered a quite a bit of material from him and have never been disappointed with what i got. He is also very polite and easy to talk to on the phone.

Hatfield Enterprises

15627 24th Avenue

Po. Box 338

Marne MI. 49435

Phone: 616-677-5215

Fax: 616-677-6012