BobP

How NOT to refinish an airbrush needle

I read a tip on one of the "airbrush user sites" saying to use your Dremel and 1200 grit sandpaper to remove corrosion and resurface the point on an airbrush needle. You're supposed to chuck the needle in the Dremel and touch up the tip while it's spinning. Hey, I use my Dremel for most of my crankbait making chores, so......

DON'T DO THIS ! The needle for my Paasche VL spun up, wobbled a split second and then bent over 90 degrees. :eek: After an hour bending and banging, I think I got it back to near straight. Needles are made from fairly soft steel. If it isn't perfectly balanced, or if your Dremel is not perfectly balanced, spinning it at 20000 rpm is not gonna be a good experience for you - or the needle.

Yep I clean mine with soap and water but was just trying to repolish the tip after a couple of year's use to get rid of corrosion and pitting. The 1200 grit paper does that but 20000 rpm is way to fast! Next time it's strictly hand turning.

Hi guys,

I also read that tip and used it to restore a bent needle tip. I used my Dremel but ran it slower and kept it at a shallow angle. I didn't wrap it up, just slid it against the fine sandpaper. After that I put a few drops of metal polish onto an automobile shammy and using the same method I polished it up very nicely. As you drag it across the shammy,you will be able to see how fine a point it is getting as you raise the angle. It has worked on two needles so far that had ...ahem ..."mishaps"!