barry batchelor

drying wheel

Do a search on "drying wheel" while looking at the hardbaits main page and you'll get several threads on the subject. I use a small dryer powered by a 4 rpm AC stepper motor that holds 6 bass lures. Built it from a piece of 1/2" shelving, a 1/2" dowel for the axle, with small pieces of 1/8" dowel dowel for the spokes and alligator clips stuck on the spokes. A proper size screw inserts in the motor and is epoxied into the axle. Pretty simple. Most guys favor 4-8 rpm motors. One from a barbecue rotisserie is also a good choice.

BBQ rotisserie has worked well for me.The only thing Ive changed from what Ive seen here is I took the prongs facing each other and about 2 inches down from the point bent 90 degree angles outward. Then I took aligator clips and simply crimped them over the points.I use drilled hobby knife handles to attach the lures because I rarely ever touch my baits after primering with my bare hands.Also, a 110 volt variable light switch works well for adjusting the rpms. Hope you can get a visual of what I said?

Here's mine. It's a rotisserie hlods up to 8 baits per block, additional blocks can be added.

dryingwheel.jpg

Mine is similar to this one. I have 2 round center blocks holding 8 parallel dowels each with alligator clips on the ends; this way I can attach hemostats at 2 points with the clips. I also hold cranks by the lip by clipping the alligator clip to a spring clip that has rubber covered jaws to clip to the lure lip.

Mine is similar to the one pictured as well. I went to wal-mart for the rotissary (20.00) I went to ace hardware to get some 3/8 set collars to hold the shaft in place on the end. I cut out a 6" DIA. circle with 3/4 " plastic(wood will work as well) I have access to a welder so I welded a set collar to a large diameter fender washer. I drilled two holes in the fender washer to screw this part onto the wheel. I made six holes for my pegs. I found a cheap tool place that had some exacto knife kits for .75 cents each, and that is what I'm using for lure holders. Some of the lures have a bigger dia wire. I bought some small clamps that have the red plastic coating on them and cut the cupped end off the bottom...This is at the end you squeeze to open the clamp.. I now have a flat surface that will go into the exacto knife. I dont have a camera or I would send pictures.

I also made my base a solid piece of wood in case I want to mount it to a wall. I can add a lot of wheels to this set up. I also left about a inch of the short rod hanging out of the frame and attached the fork that comes with the rotissery kit. I could put a piece of foam on it to dry jigs or flies.

I was in need of an oven to bake my powder coated jigs, and I came up with something better. So I got a rotisserie from my aunt and am going to use it. I am going to put a switch on the heating element so I can turn it off and just use the rotisserei for a drying wheel then when I want to bake the jigs I can turn on the heating element and bake them.

-Trey