lurerookie

Bodies fron Jann's etc.

I was thinking about purchasing some bodies already roughed out from Jann's, but was thinking that I might run into problems with weighting etc. I have only done flatsides and basically everything I have read on this site has told me that I should drill and cut the lip slot on them before shaping. Most of the ones I have seen on Jann's and other sites have a more rounded body, which is what I would like to try, but I am wondering if I will have trouble getting them drilled and cut correctly. Thoughts?

you can make a cradle out of plaster or bondo to hold the lure for cutting

cheeshead did you make a jig out of fiberglass or what ever. would like to see a pic of one i have alot of old crankbaits that have the old thick plastic bills itake the bills out cut them off and want to put citcuit board bill back on but cant get the bills to sit correct. cant seem to make a correct bill cut bet if i had a jig i could do this kb

Another thing that will work, maybe not as well as what cheesehead described, but OK, is a simple V shaped groove cut into a 2x4 block. This is accomplished using a table saw very easily. The round body fits into the V groove so it can't roll around while you try to drill it for weight. Just a safer way than holding it in place by hand. Not totally secure, but OK for someone making one or two baits at a time.

Realized my post was unclear. Cheeshead is describing a "jig" for cutting the lip slot. Mine was about the belly weight. Personally, I think this may be a situation when a handsaw might be in order. When you are cutting a slot on a round bait, it is hard to get it right with a power tool without a jig setup.

There have been nice jig setups shown on the site, but I think the photos may have been lost in the crash.