cwenbass

Thinking of getting into making my own hardbaits: Advice?

I know nothing aboutmakingmy own hardbaits, not am I even a decent artist, but I live up north where winter is long and I love the look of custom cranks. Is there any books/dvd that could help? Also, what about air brushes? What kind, how many? I would rather buy more expensive since I have always found you get what you pay for. I don't need the most expensive stuff, but i want some qaulity. I know there is a lot to learn and since my winter here is coming to a close, I am thinking of making this next winter's endeavor, but would like to start learning and acquiring goods soon.

Thanks

Sounds like your sincerely interested, if you're willing to plan that far ahead.

Its a great way to get through winter.

This website is better than any dvd you'll ever find. It's all here.

What will you need? The list is long but I'll get it started. I'm sure I'll forget a dozen or so essentials, but...

• Bandsaw
  • Benchtop belt sander with 4 inch belt
  • Tablesaw *not necessary but sure is nice for cutting lip slots
  • Drill and/or drill press
  • Airbrush...I'd go with Iwata right out of the gate
  • Compressor with regulator
  • Heat gun or propane torch
  • Rulers in centimeters for accuracy
  • Gram scale is nice for weighing weights accurately
  • Drying wheel (search this, you can build one for a song)
  • Dremel or other rotary tool and assorted bits
  • Paint booth (search again) if you'll paint indoors

Aside from that you'll need Xacto knife and a zillion blades so buy them in quantity. Screw eyes for hook hangers and line tie, polycarbonate sheets if you're going to cut your own lips, but you can order them from several sources

Paint in a variety of colors. You'll want to clear with either Devcon 2 ton epoxy, which is available form Walmart, or envirotex which can be had in craft stores, like Michaels.

Sandpaper in various grades.

And that's just the begining.

Run away while you stll can.:)

Come on, Fatfingers, do you really want to scare the man and perhaps direct him towards other activities than lure making, which might even be harmfull to his health? :lol:

I can still make crankbaits without having the following from your list:

- bandsaw (I have a scrollsaw, but dream of having a bandsaw as well :)

- table saw

- drill press

- airbrush

- compressor

- heat gun

- gram scale

- drying wheel (I do not use epoxy as clearcoat)

- paint booth

- screw eyes ( which cannot be found in my country, but even if I could find them, I would still use hand made wire eyes)

Did you have all the things of your list when you started this activity ?

I make crankbaits using rattle can sprays and the printing foil technique which Husky invented

Crankbait making is catching with a few things to start with, the rest will come in time

cwenbass

always good to see someone that has an interest in making cranks. Welcome aboard.

Yes you have come to the best site available to learn. Here are a few of my suggestions and are only "my opinion".

#1. if I were going to take a "newbie" (excuse the expression) under my wing, the first thing I would tell them to do is to go purchase this book: THE COMPLETE BOOK OF TACKLE MAKING

by C. Boyd Pfeffer....... I don't know the exact date that the book was written and YES it is a bit outdated to todays standards, but it has all of the basics covered that will allow you to understand and answer your most basic question. I keep this book at my desk or in my shop for reference all the time.

#2. Learn to use the search feature on this site. By the way, you could learn how to build a crankbait right on this site without purchasing the book. This site is that good. The book will just help you understand more.

#3. Nothing beats the trial and error method.

#4. your first bait will suck

#5 don't get dis-couraged, you will get better

good luck

Ro, I understand what you're saying. My post was in keeping with what he said here:

I would rather buy more expensive since I have always found you get what you pay for. I don't need the most expensive stuff, but i want some qaulity.

Also he did inquire about airbrushes which led me to believe he wants the things he needs to right out of the chute.

If you're going to buy what you need, then...buy what you need.

Nothing beats the trial and error method.

Absolutely, positively.

don't get dis-couraged, you will get better

I believe that the more failures you encounter, the more you learn. Sometimes those early failures become stunning successes later when you apply the failure you "learned" to solve a new problem you've encountered.

Vman, I just bought a bench grinder for making stainless steel lips.:huh: Don't ask me why, but I wanted to give them a try so I jumped up and bought the grinder this afternoon. Got a nice one on sale at Sear's and got another $15 bucks off for using their charge card...came out to $27.

Yeeehaaww.

Next on the list is a lathe for making jerkbaits and gliders.

This stuff is nuts.

Lol, I didn't have to think of anything, she was coming up with ideas on her own as we we're leaving the store and walking across the parking lot!

Actually, for Valentines Day last year, I made her a heart-shaped key fob from lexan. I foiled it and etched her name into it, cleared it, and put an eyescrew into the top with a split ring and a key ring . She loved it.

:yeah::lol:

Glad to see so much feedback however, I am sorry if i am offending any purists, but i was thinking into just the custom painting part. I would buy bodies and paint my own. i alos have a lot of old lures I don't use. I was looking more for advice on just the painting part. i would like to start there before actaully creating my own baits.

Thanks

... you can buy a musky bait for about $15 or you can make one yourself for about $25.:)

Fatfingers, let me tell you a story.

I was with a friend in a fishing articles store. I looked with admiration at some Rapala crankbaits, and I told the seller that they look quite expensive to me. I also told him that I make my own crankbaits, but if I take into consideration all the things which I bought just to make them, than my crankbaits are more expensive than the Rapalas. The seller loked puzzled. At this moment, my friend explained to him:

- You know, the addiction ...

I think I have died and went to heaven. I like you are a new-be and am looking forward to the many trial by fire, rewards by flame. I am in the works of my first attempt at a top water lure. By standards I am sure it is to be funned at, I am alright with this. I have made Kona Head lures in the past so here I go. Thank you all for being there.

I would like to thank all of the input I have received in the last 24 hours. It has been most valuable to me.

I am now looking for the best air brush I may find and some ideas about cost.

Last I am curious about dealing with the smell issue for my lures. How do you mask the smell away from the sensitive noses of fish. It would appear to me that Gel Coat or other finishes would broadcast extensive pollutants, thus repelling the fish I am trying to attract.

Suggestions please?

I'm not sure which species you fish for, but I do know that musky, pike, largemouth and walleye seem to show no shyness as to the materials commonly used for baits by most of the guys on this site.

Also when building your own crankbaits twitchbaits, you could drill a hole and place a chamber (such as a .22 caliber shell casing) inside the body of the bait to hold your favorite scent.

The best cover scent I have used was shown to me by my dad. Go to the nearest drugstore and purchase a bottle of ANISE OIL. It smells like black liquorish whips or that hard candy that your grand parents Friend's would offer you when you were a kid, and a jar of Petroleum Jelly in a plastic jar.

Place the Petroleum Jelly (plastic, no metal) in the microwave oven on medium setting for two minutes. repeat until the contents have become like water. pour in the Anise oil and stir.

Now we use the empty containers from 35MM film but any small container that you can get your finger in and has a screw top will work fine. pour the contents in the container and place in the freezer, yes the freezer. check after a few hours and the contents will re congeal. Smear a fair amount on all of your lures in fact your tackle box should have an oder when you open it.

Now this has been a family secret up to this point but I felt it was time I shared a few things. This goes back to when we put this stuff on spoons and fished salmon in Lake Michigan in the 70's. I still use it in the UP to catch pike and Bass.

I have strong faith in home remedies. I have collected a few over the years and they always come from the ole timers who share their success stories. Some say that bass do not care about scent and strike out of hunger or response to aggressions caused by the lure itself. I fished with this ole boy who smoked and drank beer, while he is far superior as a fisherman than I. I still out fished him. Later on in years he stopped smoking and it showed drastically in the catch. Now this may be totally coincidental, I have no evidence to show neither. It does stand to reason. I am a avid salmon fisherman. Scent does play a role, and most salmon fisherman are in the eternal search for solutions. Thanks guys.