- - - - -

Thinking of getting into making my own hardbaits: Advice?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Mr. Griz

Mr. Griz

• TU Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 03:37 PM

I would like to thank all of the input I have received in the last 24 hours. It has been most valuable to me.

I am now looking for the best air brush I may find and some ideas about cost.

Last I am curious about dealing with the smell issue for my lures. How do you mask the smell away from the sensitive noses of fish. It would appear to me that Gel Coat or other finishes would broadcast extensive pollutants, thus repelling the fish I am trying to attract.

Suggestions please?

#22 fatfingers

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:37 PM

I'm not sure which species you fish for, but I do know that musky, pike, largemouth and walleye seem to show no shyness as to the materials commonly used for baits by most of the guys on this site.

Also when building your own crankbaits twitchbaits, you could drill a hole and place a chamber (such as a .22 caliber shell casing) inside the body of the bait to hold your favorite scent.

#23 Howard Capone

Howard Capone

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 09:46 PM

The best cover scent I have used was shown to me by my dad. Go to the nearest drugstore and purchase a bottle of ANISE OIL. It smells like black liquorish whips or that hard candy that your grand parents Friend's would offer you when you were a kid, and a jar of Petroleum Jelly in a plastic jar.

Place the Petroleum Jelly (plastic, no metal) in the microwave oven on medium setting for two minutes. repeat until the contents have become like water. pour in the Anise oil and stir.

Now we use the empty containers from 35MM film but any small container that you can get your finger in and has a screw top will work fine. pour the contents in the container and place in the freezer, yes the freezer. check after a few hours and the contents will re congeal. Smear a fair amount on all of your lures in fact your tackle box should have an oder when you open it.

Now this has been a family secret up to this point but I felt it was time I shared a few things. This goes back to when we put this stuff on spoons and fished salmon in Lake Michigan in the 70's. I still use it in the UP to catch pike and Bass.

#24 Mr. Griz

Mr. Griz

• TU Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:50 AM

I have strong faith in home remedies. I have collected a few over the years and they always come from the ole timers who share their success stories. Some say that bass do not care about scent and strike out of hunger or response to aggressions caused by the lure itself. I fished with this ole boy who smoked and drank beer, while he is far superior as a fisherman than I. I still out fished him. Later on in years he stopped smoking and it showed drastically in the catch. Now this may be totally coincidental, I have no evidence to show neither. It does stand to reason. I am a avid salmon fisherman. Scent does play a role, and most salmon fisherman are in the eternal search for solutions. Thanks guys.