Cartrpill

Jitterbug bib

Thanks to this site, I can't just sit on the couch and watch TV anymore, I'm always playing with the lures I'm working on.

I was going to order some Jitterbug bibs but thought I would try to make some first (more fun that way). Is there a bib shape, or body weighting that seem to work better than others? I want to start with a 3" body or so begin with. I picked up a aluminum pie pan (already close to the right shape) at a thrift store and bent up a slice of it to somewhat look like an old jitterbug I have.

Any words of wisdom? The 8" of ice and 8" of snow on the lake make things a little tough to test out.

Welcome too the site.The Pie pan Idea is a good one,but may take a little bit of trial and error too get the angle,etc. correct.You will not be able too attatch your line tie too the bib though.The pie pan material isn't heavy enough too hold up too the abuse.Just put a eyescrew into the wood just above the bib and tie too that..Nathan

I've only used 1 kind of jitterbug (Arbogast), but I've seen others with what appears to be a shallower angle on the bib, is that so they can be retrieved slower? Anyone tried a steeper angle on the bib or a heavier body to get more splash along with the typical jitterbug action? I know what action I want to try for but I'm not exactly sure what a panicking drowning rodent looks like.

I love the cold weather here but the lures just don't act the same skipping across the snow.

The bibs will work at several different angles,I'm just not sure what your looking for.Thats where the experiments come in.Just rough out a bait and seal the wood,and go from there.You may go through several versions before you arrive at what you want,so don't waste your time finishing a bait until you arrive at the finall product your looking for..Also,I've found the steeper the angle you mount the bib at,it seems too push your bait higher out of the water..Nathan