barry batchelor

wood grain rising

7 posts in this topic

I just switched from viynl paint to acrylic. I seal my bodies with Laquer before the acrylic but the grain still rises up and gives a very rough look and feel. How can I combat this problem. Ireally enjoy the ease of use and cleanup of the acrylics.

test the plastic dip or use propionate pellets like many others do,theres a number of persons on here using it to seal/basecoat their lures 5-10 dips is all it takes to get a smooth surface

dip it in hot water at the end of sanding. the grain will rise fast sand with fine sand paper to get the ridges. the only set back you dry them with a hair dryer or have to be calm and let them dry. but went your lure get smacked and slammed it wont deform as easy.

It does't much matter what kind of sealer you use, but the sealer has to be thin enough to penetrate the wood. I assume you use a thin one, since the grain of the wood rises up.

Try this, and let me know your oppinion:

1. The perfectly dried wood is covered with sealer, preferably by diping.

2. Let the sealer dry for one day, even though you could see that the surface is already dried after, say, half an hour.

3. Sand to get a smooth surface

4. Dip again and let dry, not necessarily for one day

If you still have rised grain, repeat the process once more.