johnnytheboy

Round Lures, painting help

I am going to try a "new to me" idea. The static cling displays that are placed on the windows at fast food joints are clear, and may even cling to the painted surface of the lure like it does the windw. If it works, then you will have a shape fitting stencil that uses no adhesive. Not to mention, you can probably get the static clinger for free since they are just going to throw them away any way, and free is always good.

ernel, I understand your point about no adhesive. But....

For me, round lures, I found the best way (I think). Just suspend the bait from fishing line, string, whatever you have. Use a nail driven into the nose or tail. Or the screw eye, but you might want to remove and replace it later if you get spray on it.

Suspend the bait from a stable anchor point (tree limb is OK if you use spray cans). Twist the line and let the bait turn while you spray the base coats. This will get some very cool blended effects. Example: try red nose, orange middle, and yellow tail. Not necessarily for the specific pattern you have in mind, just a cool color combo.

Then later you come back for stripes and details. You absolutely MUST force yourself to wait for the paint cure on the base coats. Or speed up with a hair dryer, but beware you might cause problems doing that (bubbling, etc.).

Once the base coat is stable, you can simply rip small strips of masking tape, apply where you want on the lure. Then come back and spray the stripes in the exposed areas with black or whatever you want. CAREFULLY remove the tape (this is why ernel probably wants to avoid adhesive) so you don't rip off the base coat.

You now have your pattern. Make sense? Not necessarily better than the other methods, but works for me.

I'm like Dean; I bought a couple of kinds of adhesive stencils and found out 2 things: 1) even the frisket material that say "light tack" will lift paint or leave behind an adhesive residue when you peel it off. 2) you can only use it once. So I still use the adhesive frisket material but now never peel off the backing. I just hold it down on the lure with my thumb for sharp line details. Yeah, my thumb gets painted every time but acrylic washes off. And the stencil can be use quite a few times before it gets so gummed up with paint that it's toast.

I use clear transparency sheets, its thin, cuts easy and bends easily. I've also painted on it to see how some new ideas would look on the bait before actually painting the bait. I haven't tried heating it up and forming it to the shape of the bait yet, but will, just to see if it works.