civicdx

clearwater spinnerbait

Oh you bet a spinnerbait will work there, I would just stick to very natural colors like pumpkins, blacks, etc. White is always a good choice, as is blue and combined they make my favorite clear water combo. Check out my ClearWater Special I made for those gin clear lakes, and boy does it work!

http://www.tackleunderground.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2&pos=31

I used in on Lanier two months ago, the spotted bass loved it. I have only fished that lake twice and boy is it loaded with fish!! The last time I was there the boat traffic was unbearable but I bet that it has slowed by now and I need to get back up there.

Civicdx: sorry if I didn't give you the response you were looking for. What else would you like to know? Use smaller 3/8 size baits and under, regular combinations work well in clear water, use silver over gold blades prefferably smooth silver blades for me and I love white willows in clear lakes but I mostly fish our green or tanic southern resivoirs and clear lakes aren't my speciality. JIM

"Snowball" is awfully good for burning up spots in clear water...white head, skirt, blades. White with a little dark and powder blue, with white or nickel blades is also good. Biggest thing you need is a nasty day...wind, rain, snow if you can get it, and a heavy enough head to make long throws. Bait also needs to be very stable at high speeds, burning is usually your best bet. Fluttering a big 1oz bait through shad schools in the creeks is also good in the fall...like a shad skirt (usually) with some blue, and small colorado/willow baldes for that.

Hum, Lanier 2 months ago ah.. Check out SOB which is a sponser on the BFHP has the original MIni me. Get you a white or one of the glimmers with double white willows. You can get them in 1/2oz and back way off from what your fishing and burn them back to the boat as fast as you can reel. Than want roll over and it works great. Check out some of the reports Triton Mike leaves and you will see the results. You'll prolly see me with a couple of Lanier spotzillas as well from doing this. Good fishing.

Civic, You got some great advice from Reeper and Dave. Especially from Dave on the long casts and fast retrieve in clear water. Me personally I wouldn't even dream of throwing a double colorado blade in clear water only if it was at nite.

They key to catching fish in clear water with spinnerbaits is like Dave mentioned long casts and fast retrieves. It's hard to beat SOB's Mini Me in my opinion. I personally like a heavier bait for even longer casts and even faster retrieves. The heavy head also helps the bait track a straight line on those fast retrieves.

Find enclosed one of my personal spinnerbaits that I made that is about 3/4's of an ounce and a copy of a VPR brand bait that is similiar to the Mini Me but heavier and with my own personal Signature Trailer

I have written an article a while back about fishing for Spotted Bass in clear water that might interest you and can answer alot of questions that you might have about fishing clear water. This article is derived from 25 years of fishing experience and 5 of those years as a fishing guide exclusively for Spotted Bass here in North Georgia (Atlanta area).

http://www.geocities.com/spotcountry/Powerfishing.html

Be careful who you buy your blades from. You would be surprised to see how many people have wayyyy to little experience in knowing what they are doing when it comes to making Spinnerbaits. I've seen gobs of spinnerbaits and even buzzbaits that don't come anywhere even close to tracking a straight line.

If I can be of any further help just let me know

Triton Mike

You should listen to Triton Mike, he knows what he is talking about and should be considered an expert on clear water fishing for spotted bass. I have very little experience on clear lakes myself and would heed his advise on it. I have heard only great stuff about any SOB product so would recommend them to you too. They are a proven producer and an awesome product. I hear they are great people to work with too. I just make my baits as a hobby, but there are some great ones being produced by people here who do sell theirs.

Triton Mike: that url for the spinnerbait doesn't work, can you give us another one? JIM

Wow!! That is beatiful, is that flashabou on the tail? I did have to type the url in to get it to work. Awesome job! What weight is it? I saw a rod you and Bassreeper made the last time I was over at his place, it was incredible and ultra-versatile from what he was saying. I finally found someone who does repairs and such to do the work on the one we talked about before, I took yours and Maze's advise and went to rodbuilding.org. I talked to some idiot around here for two months about mine and all he ever did was keep raising the price and then finally said he didn't know if he could do it right or not....Arg!! Oh well, we all know how it goes, anyway great spinnerbait, did you make it for Lanier too? JIM

Nice looking bait T-Mike. Almost looks like a spinnerbait version of one of your infamous Doo-Dads on the back. Those things rock.

I usually run my skirts "reversed", with the stubby end of the silicone towards the head and the long end flowing back over the hook. Eliminates need for a plastic trailer (they can work loose and screw up the balance). Picked it up from War Eagle. Looks very similar to T-Mikes bait with trailer added.