Tigger

You ever get burned out?

Hey everybody, Do you guys ever get burned out on making lures? I keep thinking that I will make lures to sell but I just don't know if I can. You put so much time into making them that their is a burn-out factor coming into play. It seems to be different when you close that line from fun to business.

John

if you are truely into this you will never get burned out if you are into it for the money you may experience burn out some time because of the repetition of making the same thing over and over the only way to keep from burn out is to keep coming up with new ideas and keep pushing yourself to get better with every idea that you may have

if you are truely into this you will never get burned out if you are into it for the money you may experience burn out some time because of the repetition of making the same thing over and over the only way to keep from burn out is to keep coming up with new ideas and keep pushing yourself to get better with every idea that you may have

:worship::yay: and every now and then give that bait you just screwed up a good one - two punch with a hammer

excellent points by all, tigger IMHO, once its a job there is no fun:angry: , think about it you can build any time you want or not build, but if its become a job, you have to build, meet deadlines, orders, then ship them out, duties, exchange, customs, patents(and lets be real, there are some wicked builders (as well as the big comps)that could in the blink of an eye,knock off your bait before the day was over and be selling there version even cheaper), and then what would be the worse for me, is having someone want a specific coulour/combo:mad: , this weirdo paints what he fells like,:eek: and what i want, and lets face it your not going to get rich doing it, how much are you going to charge? do you think all the hard work and time, and artistic ability you put into that lure you will get back? not a chance, guys want lures for next to nothing, unless they make them ,they have the i can go to bps or cableas, and get a lure for x amount of dollars, why would i pay (your price), of course they are exceptions, some guys do make a living at it, and i am happy for them,me i will sell the odd one if the price is right, but i am content in trading them(donate to charity fund raisers as well) to fellow builders who know what went into making them,and know there worth, and as far as the burnout goes, heres a little trick, take a lure(say you make 2 or 3 different styles) and modify/alter one completley different then what you are used to, (ex try it jointed, triple joint, plastic swim tail) just something different to get the creative juices going, and when you feel like it, you can always go back to your stand by weapon of choice, sorry about rambling, just my 1 and 1/2 canadian cents:lol:

Etch

tally you are right about the hammer i have crushed many a crankbait but for every one crushed a lesson was learned a good friend of mine that makes crankbaits for a living and sells to over seas once told me the most important tool he has found was a shower cap he said it would come in handy and that it was used to keep me from pulling my hair out when designing a new crankbait and working all the bugs out of it when a person wanted it to have a certain action and of course he was right but i never give up thats what keeps me from burn out