Cgraff

Jig hooks, Gamakatsu / Matzuo

I have two questions. I have never used Matzuo hooks, are they a quality hook. I am interested in the 90 degree aberdeen jighooks (black chrome round bend 117010). I usually use a 604 Gami, are the Matzuo simalar? and are they the same sizes? What I mean by this is when I purchased Mustad Black nickel 2/0 they were bigger than the Gami 2/0 by at least a size. Thanks

I use nothing but Gama, WHY use something that only was following the best......... bulk Matzuo aren't the quality as Gama like fish devil explained you get alot of bad hooks,,,,, that tells me about there quality they're selling to the users........soooooo Gama verse any other hook,? my answer is.....WHY ?????

If it ain't broke doen't fix it..............

I don't know about Owners thin wire stuff but there bigger hooks are (imho) better than anything else out there, I guess the only downfall with Owners is the cutting point can't be resharpened once it rolls, but gamakatsu's lose there point extremely quick, and are overpriced. The Owner cutting point is lethally sharp though, Ive stuck myself twice with em and they do cut:eek: Ohhh and dont use there spinenrbait hook either it ain't worth it:whistle:

There is one brand of jig hook that is , in my opinion, as good as the gamakatsu and that is the Daiichi. One design thing that Daiichi does that I particularily like is that their red hooks are gold underneath so that when the red started wearing off as the jig catches fish the hook has a gold finish. If I could choose whether or not to have gold underneath I would rather have gold than black or nickle. Not that it is a big thing but the specie of fish that my jigs are designed for (Pompano) do seem to be attracted to gold better than black. I can't remember the Gamakatusu's having this feature. There is no doubt that the Gamakatusu's are good hooks but there are ,in my opinion, a little overpriced too. The Daiichi hooks in the one hundred count boxes are not nearly as pricey and , in my opinion, there is no decernable difference in the quaility or their ability to catch fish. As for there being defective hooks within a box. I cannot remember seeing a defective hook from either Daiichi or Gamakatsu. Well now , I might have to take that back. It seems that I can remember both of the brands having barbs that are a smidge smaller from time to time but I think that this is just something that has to be lived with.

I use Owners exclusively in all my Jigs, Spinnerbaits, Buzzbaits, and Chatterbaits. They are super sharp and super strong. I like the fact that the jig hooks are black (hides the hook). There spinnerbait hooks are great too. Yes it is hard to re-sharpen them if they get bent but thats why we pour for ourselves so its not a big loss. For overall sharpness, strength and dependability its very hard to beat Owners.

Mr B

I use Matzuo sickle hooks for my walleye jigs because I lose a lot on the very snaggy Detroit River because I want a low cost hook that's sharper than Eagle Claw & Mustad. I wouldn't use Matzuo for anything else. I stick with Owner for my darter heads & tube jigs. Mustad & Eagle Claw rust too much for me & arne't as sharpe as Owner or Gama. I have some Matzuo sickle hooks on some darter heads but the smallmouth straighten them out too often.

I use Matzuo sickles on small jigs for trout and smallies. Some bad hooks but I get bad hooks from every manufacturer. Price is right, most are sticky sharp, they can be resharpened easily and the thin wire penetrates very well. It's not flipping, its finesse.

I've used the larger Matzuo's for tube heads and have caught Stripers up to 20 lbs. Haven't had much of a problem with any hook (Gammi, VMC, Mustad, Owner, Sohumi, Eagle Claw) straightening. Maybe I'm just lucky.

It's not flipping, its finesse.

Thats a great point! Matzuo sickle hooks are not a power hook, they are thin wire like anyother aberdeen style hook, if your using em with a mh fast action rod and braid there gonna bend out just like any other thin wire hook. You have to match your equipment to what your fishing. I've tied alot of hair jigs using the walleye jig mold and Matzuo sickle hooks and use them on m to ml spinning gear with 6-8 pound mono or floro and have never bent a hook out that I didn't want to (snags) IMHO they are great lightwire hooks, there strong (for there diameter) resharpen great and are USUALLY sharp right out of the package, if there not sharp take a file to em or pitchem, there cheap and they work!

3/0 on my darter heads with flouro. It's the 4LB & 5LB smallies on Lake St. Clair that are doing it.

I've caught my fair share of 4+ pound smallies in current on the river on hair jigs tied with 1, 1/0 and 2/0 Matzuo sickle hooks and have never bent one out due to a fish, Ive bent em on purpose when snagged up.