cadman

SkirtMaster Tool FYI

For all you guys that like the old SkirtMaster (3 pronged) tool, well their is bad news and their is good news.....Bad news:cry: ...I searched for this tool and to no avail, I can't find it anywhere here in my neck of the woods. They were last sold in 2004 in Barlow's, Bass Pro, Stamina and Jann's catalog's. Apparently the person who had the business sold it.... Good news:yes: ... In about 6-8 months, there is going to be a SkirtMaster tool Pro, which will be better than the old one. As soon I find out more info, I will post it here, with a link, contact or phone number.

I have one of the old three pronged Skirt Master Tools and its always worked good for me. I cant imagine why its not being made right now. I mean if i was going to make any changes to it i would have tightened up the component tolerances on how well everthing fit together. Two of the prongs seemed to pull a little but farther than the third one. But still it got the job done with a minimum of hassle. So overall i would consider it to be a pretty good tool.

Widowmaker, I will have to agree with you. I've had mine going on six years, and never had a problem with it. The guy that came up with it definitely has a very good idea, and dang-nab-it, it really works. Yes the tool could use a little re-vamping, as far as better or closer tolerances go. I will keep everyone posted on this as time goes on. Like I said in my post above, there is a new and better one in the process of being made.

Dink Master, that is the exact same tool I have. I am still in contact with the guy who originally made them. They will be marketed again, he didn't tell me when this will happen though. I still believe that this skirt tool is the easiest to use so far. I will keep everyone posted,as I get more info.

Braveviper, when I bought mine it was about $20-$25. Believe me you will like it if you can find it. To me it was well worth the money. I now have three of them. I have a quick tip on using this tool with skirts if anyone is interested......Ted

Braveviper, when I bought mine it was about $20-$25. Believe me you will like it if you can find it. To me it was well worth the money. I now have three of them. I have a quick tip on using this tool with skirts if anyone is interested......Ted

I just ordered one, any and all tips are welcome -

WidowMaker, I have used pads, and yes with a paper clip, but most of my skirts are either Hydrosilk or Starflash. These skirts come banded. The biggest problem I had with this tool was when I tried to put in all the loose strands into an open collar. They all would not go in no matter how much I opened the the rubber collar. The way I solved this, was when I had all my colors in the skirt I wanted, I took all the loose ends from one side of the skirt and taped them all together with transparent tape. Half of the tape was on the strands, and the other half was sticking out. The reason for this was, with half of the tape sticking past the strands, I then was able to squeeze the tape into a point. This made inserting the whole skirt with all of the strands go into the rubber collar easily, with the point of the tape leading the way. Lastly when you have banded skirts, The easiest way I found to separate them from the existing batch and mix and match other colors was this. For example, I have a 50 strand skirt, and I want 20 of the original black, 20 white and 10 silver. The original black ones are all banded, leave them that way. Now count out 20 black strands, and take your tool wth a rubber collar, and band the 20. Also band the 30 remaining strands. Now take off the original band, and you will have (2) separate skirts banded together, a (20) and a (30). This keeps all your strands together nice and clean. Now do this to the other colors. Remember you always want (3) bands on a full 50 strand skirt, before you separate them into (2). Once you have your (3) separate colors, they all should be banded (20 Blk), (20 wht) and (10 slvr), Put them all together end to end and do the trick with the tape. Once you have the tape on them, put them through the tool with the rubber collar. Now your done with a multi-color skirt. Next take off all the other three bands on all the other 3 skirts.Do not take off the band that holds all 3 skirts together. The band you put on will hold them all in place. If you don't understand this PM me with your e-mail, and I have some pictures that might help. Sorry this is so long.

Sim can I ask you how much you paid for your Skirtmaster tool, and where you got it? If you can post it here for everyone that would be great, if not PM me. Happy skirting guys.................Ted

sim, that's a good price. I don't do a lot of pads, so I'm not the one to ask, maybe someone else will chime in and give you there input..... Out of curiosity, how do you like the Skirtmaster tool????????

Just ordered it, when I get it, I'll let you know... design of it is certainly promising, and just about anything has to be better than the simple tool that Stamina (et al) sell.

One of these days I'll spring for the bench type tool... but $120 seems pricy.

Sim, Did you receive your skirt master tool yet? If so, how is it working out for you? I ordered one about a week after you did, and I have not received mine.

Nope, never arrived... checked paypal, and the money was still 'unclaimed' as of today, since i got no response from tehm whatever to email, I canceled the payment.

Let us know if you get yours... I have little patience these days.

Sim,

I'm sorry to hear that. I know they are hard to find, however I know you would've liked them, as they are easy to use. I am still in contact with the original maker of the tool. As soon as I find out more I will let everyone know.

Basssj, let me know if you get yours. I will search around to see if anyone else has any. If I find them I will buy them, and let everyone know.

I have tried emailing and calling the number on the Skirtmaster website. No luck so far. I was hoping this would not turn into a hassle.

I was checking out the automotive retaining ring pliers in my craftsman catalog. I believe a guy could modify a set of these pliers without too much trouble and fabricate his own skirtmaster. Cadman, what do you think?

basssj,

Skirtmaster Tool will not reply, to your request, as they are not made any more. The guy you got them from probably had old stock (then again probably no stock since he can't deliver). I hate to say it but you may be out of luck. As long as you get your money back, or cancel your check or charge, you may be better off). I can't tell you what to do since I am not you. You can keep on calling that guy that supposed to sell them to you, "but I have my doubts", kind of the problem Sim had. As far as using retaining ring pliers, that was my first thought before I bought mine. The only thing with retaining plers is that they only stretch in one direction. The skirt master tool expanded the skirt collar in three directions. I will keep looking for these pliers and see if I can find anymore. I believe several post above there was a similar tool, however I have never used it. I will try to help and see what I can do. Ted

I figured I would end up canceling my transaction with skirtmaster. The guy really should take his website down if he is not accepting orders.

What I was asking was how much trouble would it be to add a third arm to the retaining ring pliers to turn them into a three prong expanding plier. Could someone please post 2 pictures of their skirt master pliers? One of each side. I will make a set if I have to. The pliers seemed to be the best thing going for making a skirt and getting it on a large jighead.

basssj,

pm me with your e-mail I'll get it to you tonight when I get home. leave "tool" in message line so I know who you are

I'm just getting into wire baits and have been reading all the threads like I did when I started pouring soft plastics. I read about this tool here and heard it was no longer available I did a search and found the website for the Skirtmaster tool. I ordered one and it arrived shortly after. http://www.drfun.com/SkirtMaster/ Pamela contacted me asking where I heard about it and I replied TU and suggested she post something letting people know that it is available. This was her reply:

I have tried to post there, but I guess I just don't understand how to do it! This is my fathers invention. He had trouble getting it produced. We redesigned the tool, better quality and I found a manufacturer, so we have about 2500 ready to go. He is elderly now, and I didn't want to let his dream die before it got the chance to take off. My goal is to generate enough money to send him fishing once or twice a year! So, please, if you would or can post I would really appreciate it!

Pamala Dorsey

SkirtMaster Pro

707-485-0666 Phone

I'm just getting into wire baits and have been reading all the threads like I did when I started pouring soft plastics. I read about this tool here and heard it was no longer available I did a search and found the website for the Skirtmaster tool. I ordered one and it arrived shortly after. http://www.drfun.com/SkirtMaster/ Pamela contacted me asking where I heard about it and I replied TU and suggested she post something letting people know that it is available. This was her reply:

I have tried to post there, but I guess I just don't understand how to do it! This is my fathers invention. He had trouble getting it produced. We redesigned the tool, better quality and I found a manufacturer, so we have about 2500 ready to go. He is elderly now, and I didn't want to let his dream die before it got the chance to take off. My goal is to generate enough money to send him fishing once or twice a year! So, please, if you would or can post I would really appreciate it!

Pamala Dorsey

SkirtMaster Pro

707-485-0666 Phone

Although this original thread is old, thanks (152nd Street) for bringing it to life and bringing new info on this tool. At one point in time, this was the best tool on the market for tabbed and non tabbed skirts. Everyone in the wirebait sect had one. Then there were production problems and it wasn't being made anymore. When I started this thread, they were coming out with a new improved model but there again was production problems. I am glad that, that has been resolved and the tool is now available. If anyone doesn't have one of these, it should be a part of your skirt making tool arsenal. For many skirts that are still assembled and colors mixed by hand, this is still the best tool out there..............Thanks for posting this.