Kozak

Questions on Wooden Lures

Hey everyone, a bunch of people have been saying good things about the helpfulness of this site and from the posts it seems to all be true:)

Alright, I just started making my own lures (well trying) 3 days ago. It's winter and I want this as a hobby. I've carved out a few poppers from pine(still trying to find some balsa locally), sanded them with a dremel. Now I'd like to put in the hook eyes and paint it. I've heard about "sealing", what exactly is that? Is it just for crankbaits? or is it for all wooden lures? And if I'm going to paint them does it matter what kind of paint I get(using paintbrushes)? I know it has to be water proof. and do I need to put a coat of something on the bait before I paint it? I'm planning on using epoxy to glue in the hook eyes, havent decided whether to use stainless steel wire or screw eyes but should I "seal" them with something when I finish inserting them into the lure?

Sorry for all the questions, you can probably break them down into some simpler basic ones if you choose to help me. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Hi Kozak. I'm a new memeber too, I just stumbled across this site a few minutes ago, in fact, and although I've made a few clunky lures in past years I'm just now getting into it as a serious hobby. Anyway, while doing research on lure making I came across a downloadable "e-book" on making wooden top water lures. It was only $19.95 and surprisingly well worth the money. It would be a bargain at 5 times the price. Here's the link: http://www.woodenluremaking.com/

Good luck!

You won't need an "E-Book" :nuhuh: There are more people here that can answer any questions you have then you can shake a spammer at. ;) Well, I'll try to answer some of your questions. This is what I do and this is just me. I hope more people chime in and give you some tips. I use basswood myself. I buy blocks of it at A.C. Moore and Micheals. You can cut out thier weekly 40% coupon in the sunday paper and get it dirt cheap. It carves and sands very easily, and is strong enough to hold set screws for your hooks. Sealing could be a few different things. Some people seal a lure with disolved plastic pellets wich, from what I here, makes it water tight and strengthens the wood. I use your basic primer paint from the hardware store for a basecoat.

If you want to use screw eyes I suggest buying some Devcon 5 min. epoxy. After drilling a pilot hole for the screw eye, dab a lil' epoxy on the screw eye before screwing it in. You can wipe off any extra that squishes out.

For paint I brush also. I use the cheapy acrylics from your local craft store. They come in tons of colors and are easy clean up.

For a finish coat I use Devcon 2 ton epoxy. This gives the lure a rock hard, crystal clear finish that holds up very well.

Well I hope that helps.

Jason

A.C. MOORE!!!! AH THANK YOU! lol I couldnt think of a place that may have crafting supplies around here (I'm not a very artsy person). Thank you so much Jason, you answered everything I needed to know:) I'm going out to a few stores tommorrow and I'll go to A.C. Moore as well. Thanks again

No problem man, you'll find the wood in the......you guessed it wood section :) Blocks of wood run roughly $4-$8. Acrylic paints run between 99 cents-$1.65. Catch them on sale for 3 for $1 then stcok up lol. Pick up some cheap nylon brushes and go to town. Devcon can be found at Walmart for about $1.87. That's the cheapest place to get it.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7287

I use propionate pellets the same as rapala&nilsmaster use on their wooden lures seen it used on some foamlures too it creates a good base to paint on &if you use createx or similar paints it can be used as a topcoat too . If you use lacquers you dont need to prime your lures just paint it white &continue with your scheme .

cool, im from ipswich

and what should I spread the epoxy (2ton) with when I do a final coat over the paint? and when I use the primer, it's after I put in the eyes with the 5 min epoxy right? if so should i just dip the lure in the primer or do i paint the primer on?

thanks

Kozak,

Some guys on here are just mixing the epoxy up on the bottom of an aeresol can. Use a piece of straight wire to mix it and it will help control some of the air bubbles. I dip my topcoats. But I'm not about to get that big argument started again. Check the posts on lure spinners, you're gonna need one to dry and level that epoxy topcoat.