slimecoat

Lures spining in the air

Don't think a swivel will do anything to help lures tumbling during the cast. I think there's usually a sweetspot in how hard to cast most lures for the max distance and if you exceed it, the lure tumbles. That's especially true of spinnerbaits. I mostly use a baitcasting reel and don't have line twist problems. But if you're throwing #5 balsa Shadraps, the only way to go is a spinning reel with light line, and line twist is inevitable whether the lure tumbles or not. If the water is stained, you might consider 20# or 30# braid. It will still twist but won't cause problems on a spinning reel since it has no memory at all.

Well I'll tell you one thing I have not solved this problem yet. I fish #5 and #7 shad raps, and depend on how long I fish them, my line is trashed in 5 hours, and definitely by the end of the day. I went to Triple Fish camo line, it helped some but not enough. I replace my line everytime I'm done fishing. That's why I went to less expensive line. Also I never broke any line, cause it is constantly re-spooled. I do know that when I cast, I can see the shad rap spinning in circles as it comes off my rod. I do fish with a spinning rod, and no swivels. I do use speed clips though. I would definitely like to find a solution. Adding stick on lead weight on the bottom of the shad rap has helped also.

Glad it's not just me on this one. A brief discussion took place a week or two on another forum, not much came out of it though.

I agree with the 'sweet spot'. Once the lure is spinning if fails to regain stability.

We could start talking technical here, but what would that achieve, as we have a fixed rod and a favourite lure, neither do we want to change.

I am using a spinning rod too. I started from scratch last weekend, 'lobbing' the lure short distances and studying the lure. Gradually extending, all the time watching the lure. The lure will generally flop around, until you cast just too fast, then the spin occurs and will not stop.

The lure is travelling fastest 'out of the gate', so this needs to be slower than the 'sweet spot' speed.

Back to what Maddoxbay said. Try different lengths of line out from the tip. This should get part of it solved. The other thing I have found is to try a different angle of cast (over the top, 3/4, side armed, and a under hand roll cast). I don't know why but it seems to help and I can usually find one that works for that bait. I might be out thinking myself and its just a low trajectory that is working in most situations.

I forgot a few of my other favorite cast. For those of us trying to cast a #4 Shad Rap we have the "around the world cast" and and the non-boater special with a Carolina Rig, the "Knock the Gel-coat off the Motor Cast".:whistle:

My new lure design has a hinged lip. This greatly reduces the occurance of spin and gives me an increase in casting distance into the bargain.

The hinge allows my ample 70deg lip to fold horizontal during the flight, giving a much more aerodynamic profile.

In the water, the pressures 'snap' it back into its working attitude. It works very well and will be my standard construction from now on.

I can even interchange lips with it.