Skeeter

Fixing Holes In Clearcoats

One of the problems that most of us have run across is a hole that forms in the clearcoat after it has started to cure. Most of this has been with Devcon by my calculations. But, I am sure that it has happened with them all. I believe this is from a thin spot in the clearcoat as we spread it on. As the hardener begins to cure the epoxy resin, it shrinks. The thin spot appears, and we all start cussing. I have found a way to fix these holes.

Let the current coat of Devcon completely cure. Then mix up a very small amount and put it in the holes or separations with a toothpick. Don't glob it in, just put enough in to fill the spot. Then put a piece of regular celophane tape over the hole and the wet Devcon and make sure that it is laying flat and smooth over the hole. Let it cure and then remove the tape. The tape will not stick to the bait and you will not be able to tell that the hole ever existed. It is perfect. I haven't tried this with the other clearcoats that are generally used on this site. But I don't know why it won't work with them either. If someone uses this metheod with the other clearcoats, please let me know how it works.

Skeeter

Hi Guys

I use Envirotex Lite - I cannot buy the devcon up here in Canada....when I have that problem....I simply light up the propane torch and very quickly run the bait about 2 inches above the flame - this gets the epoxy heated and it starts to run a bit - then I take a paint brush and spread it out - if there is not enough to spread - I take some of the batch I have leftover - and heat it up on some tinfoil - until it starts to run - then spread more on....That seems to work well for me.

From the sick and scary file...believe it was Bo Dowden or Basil Bacon in about 1990-91. All issues back to March 85, all Bass Times from Day 1. All shows from 86 or so on tape until the new owners...cough...losers...changed the format. Won't waste the time to set the VCR for it now.

Skeeter...FC is nice and light. At least compared to Devcon :)

Clear tape, as in Scotch Tape...The key to a successful patch is to use no more than necessary to fill the hole--you don't want the epoxy anywhere but in the hole, i.e. you don't want to let it feather out under the tape into the non patch area, or you will have started the ol repair snowball down a long hill.

...and time stands still for no baitmaker...do you all remember who finished 2nd in Bo Dowden's classic win, without looking it up????

Dean, another aging whittler

Great tip, just made up a batch and found a couple of those dreaded spots on one bait. Got another question to though. I also had a bait that came out with a small soft spot. Don't know if it was a hole in progress or just some of the epoxy didn't mix well although didn't have any trouble on any of the other ones. Any fix for that other than stripping it and redoing??

That is right fellas. Just some regular scotch tape. Nothing fancy. If the hole is real small or I need the bait fast then I use 5 min Devcon. For larger holes or separations then I use the long cure. On large holes or patches then you may see a slight outline. I mean very slight. But it is a good result for a patch. A little dab will do you too. If you put too much the Devcon will flatten out all around the hole once you lay the tape smooth.

Skeeter