Kozak

Painting Issues?

Just started making my own lures a few days ago, already asked a few Qs on here and got some greatly appreciated responses. Today I painted my first two lures and noticed that they look a little bumpy, not as smooth as many of yours. I'm using pine, primed, then painted right on top of the primer. Am I supposed to sand with say 150 before applying the primer, or should I sand after the primer and then paint on that? I'm not a expert on wood but it looks to be the grains are sticking out and that's why it's a little bumpy? Then again it could be that I'm using acrylics and not airbrushing.

You didn't say what you primed with but if it's water based, it will raise the wood grain. You need some kind of solvent based primer or waterproofing on raw wood before shooting water based colors. I prime with prop pellets in acetone then shoot a white latex primer and colors. But any solvent based primer will usually work fine. If you clearcoat with Devcon 2 Ton, it will usually level out over any small bumps or raised grain. I sand primed baits with 400 grit paper to knock down any stray grain or bumps.

thanks bob

it was Krylon Gray Primer. Doesn't say if it's Oil or water on the can but I did brush it on and it didnt stain the brush so I'm assuming it's water? I just found a old primer can in my garage, it's oil based white kilz though.

I'm just a little dissapointed because I can picture what I want the painted to baits to look like but they dont come out quite as well :cry:

I was looking through the gallery at the poppers and almost all of them have a nice silvery "chain" scales look

http://www.tackleunderground.com/photos/index.php?n=249

Does anyone know how I can go about doing that?

Scale effect is done by wrapping the lure in net fabric and shooting paint over it. Lots of fabrics with open weaves look good - check out the options at Walmart for some examples. Or you can buy it from Staminainc.com or Janns Netcraft. As far as finish quality, I guarantee you it gets better the more you do it. I find there aren't many shortcuts to a better finish surface. It's lots of detail work, careful sanding and a willingness to go back and correct anything that turned out less than perfect (as if anything is ever really perfect!).