whibley

X-Rays

IMO, if a popper is soft balsa and you want it to be durable, it should be split and have a wire frame installed for the hook anchors versus epoxying in screws. Scribe a centerline around the length of the bait while it's still "square". After shaping, use the line as a guide to split the bait with a single edged razor blade. That isn't necessary for hardwood baits but soft balsa is very fragile and needs reinforcement.

I agree with BobP about splitting and thru wiring Balsa wood and I found out the hard way. I took my first balsa wood baits to the lake yesterday. I was very happy with them until one exploded into three pieces while slapping it on the water to clear it of moss. It only took about four good slaps to destroy it. (Lesson Learned) I guess I will either learn to split and thru wire or stick with Red Wood and or Bass Wood. A friend of mine uses Tupuleo (Not Sure about the spelling) Wood. Luckily, I also had made some of Red Wood which is much more durable. I actually caught two bass on them. So now, I am hooked on making my own cranks . It has kept me plenty busy even when not working on them, I think about them constantly. I fear I may become an addict:)