Skeeter

More Tests From the Pool

As most of you know, I have been doing ALOT of testing in my pool this year. One of the other things that I tested was the effects of different shapes and angles of lips in crankbaits. I had made a shallow running crankbait for myself to use for the fall. I had the lip in at a 40 deg. angle to the bait. The bait had a little too much wobble for me so I cut the current lip out an put in another one with the line tie about 1/8th further out on the lip. It really didn't make much difference. So I decided to thin the width of the lip. I took a dremel tool and thinned the lip in about 1/16th of an inch. It made no difference. I did it again and it still made no difference. So I got mad and thinned the width of the lip to about 1/4 of an inch wide from nose to the tip of the lip. And guess what? That's right, it still made no difference. Thinning the width of the lip will work on baits with a lip that comes mostly straight or with a slight down angle. It will tighten the action of the bait. It does not work with lips at severe angles to the body. I am sure that there had to be some change. Like in physics, for every action there is a reaction. But it was definitely not noticable to my eyes. The only way to tighten the action on one of these shallow divers, is to decrease the angle of the lip.

Skeeter

I think the biggest advantage of a wider lip, esp in a square bill type bait, is the added deflection and improved snag resistance. My experience so far is with flat sides, interested to see if it holds true for "B" baits.

Thanks for sharing the info Skeeter. Question: Were those balsa or hardwood baits?