whibley

What would happen if...

How it works is a function of the body configuration to some degree. It requires a bit of experimentation.

Here's one that worked. I'm working on others to. My goal is to build a bait for musky (and another for walleye) that runs in the 4 to 9 foot depth range, but stays far from the boat during trolling. That way if you run the boat in wide lazy S curves, the bait will occasionally pass through more water that hasn't been disturbed by the boat and hopefully will partially eliminate the need for planer board (which I think are a hassle.)

While the pattern on this one is plain-Jane by this board's standards, its a proven color pattern for musky on my waters.

LeeesvilleYellowSlenderFlatShad2.jpg

By the way if you look at Rollie and Helen's Musky shop, they offer the lip configuration that I used. It's a #5 and can be resized for a variety of baits. I've had great success getting the #5 to run on a variety of bait body-styles. Its a dependable and insenstive lip, meaning that is isn't subject to tricky tuning, etc.

If you feed out enough line on a bait with that lip, it will go deep enough to say hello to musky, pike, largemouth, northerns, and walleye at a variety of the depths where they hang out.