WidowMaker

Devcon Two Ton Epoxy - Diluting/Thinning.

Widowmaker, I have used Devcon 2 ton (30 minute from day one). I did get the best tips from someone here on TU. Take an aluminum empty beverage can, and turn it upside down. On the bottom of this can you have a nice shallow dish. Mix your epoxy in there. The aluminum of the can pulls the heat away from the mixed epoxy, and slows down the curing process. Also another tip from here, was to keep the epoxy cold, like in the fridge, it lengthens the working time. The only drawback I found with this is. The colder the epoxy the longer the working time, the harder it is to brush on. The wamer the epoxy the shorter the working time, the easier it is to brush on. I choose to use it at room temperature. After I brush it on, somtimes it is thicker, then I go over it lightly with a hair dryer, but this is rare. It covers and levels out really nice right after it is mixed. I never dilute Devcon, try the hair dryer first.

I tried the aluminum can and i noticed it worked a lot better than the plastic screw on pop bottle caps i had been using. Im wondering if i can make something to hold water and then set the bottom of the can into the water. Maybe that will farther extend the working time.

Ive learned using epoxy is a lot like working with hot lead. You have to work around it and adjust to what its doing. You cant force it to do what you want it to do.

I also use Devcon II for my spinnerbaits and buzzbaits. I do not thin, just use full strength. I take a marker and mark a line every 1/4 inch on the tube. That lets me have control over how much epoxy I use. Generaly, 1/4 inch of Devcon II will coat 12 - 15 baits before setting up. I find I have very little waste doing it this way. Good Luck, Joe

WidowMaker, I just thought of an idea. What we need is a double boiler. Your wife or a woman will know what it is. It is a a pot with-in a pot, that melts chocolate or for making custard, without burning it. Both pots are aluminum. You put water in the bottom pot, then put the chocolate in the top pot, then stack the top pot on the bottom pot. When the water boils, it melts the chocolate. This principle can be applied to epoxy, only on a smaller scale than the big pots. This way you can put cold water or small chucks of ice in the bottom tray, and mix your epoxy in the top tray, then put the top tray onto the bottom tray. However, maybe this is all just overkill....I was just brain storming at work. Now my head hurts:lol: :lol::lol: .