eyesman_01

Cedar Toxic?

I have used Western Red Cedar for over thirty years on the exterior of custom homes I build and have never seen anyone get ill including the carpenters. However a week ago my five year old daughter was in the garage with me while I was cutting blanks out of old growth vertical grain Red Cedar for the lathe on my table saw with all my dust collector and filtration equipment going. I cut the Red cedar for twenty minutes or so. I started putting the tools away and realized I forgot to cut up a few pieces of White Cedar a friend gave me (came from Northern Michigan). I probably did the crosscuts for a couple of minutes and by the time I carried the blanks over for her to stack at the bench she was sneezing non stop. She seemed fine but kept sneezing so I took her in the house and she stopped right away and luckily did not get sick or have a reaction. My kids have been out there with me plenty of times before and I do put a mask and muffs on them if I am doing anything very heavy at all but they have helped me sweep and clean and never had a problem. It was for sure the White cedar. Sorry for the long post.

The tannins and other chemicals in Cedar are sensitizers. As Fish's example you can use them for years and never have a problem. But the next time you use it you may land in the hospital from a severe allergic reaction. one never knows.

Would I stop using Cedar? Nope.

Do I take every precaution? I'm lying if I say I do every time but I should..

as with anything we do USE CAUTIOIN! and USE YOUR BRAIN! and all will be fine.

Thanks for the input. I've used cedar around the house for several different project and guess I never noticed any adverse reactions. I've got some scraps laying around I thought I could use for my first try at making crankbaits. Guess I'll pay closer attention and take precautions from now on. Thanks again.