fish45

airbrush

I am new to airbrushing and need lots of help. I just bought a paasche air brush VL set and a compressor with regulator. It doesnt have good instructions on how to set up the airbrush. I bought createx paint in a bottle and am not sure where the paint goes? Do i just put the paint in the jar and do I have to clean the brush everytime I use a new paint? Also Createx is water proof, what do you put over the paint to keep it from washing off.

fish45,

You have an excellent airbrush in my opinion, I have the same one. Createx, for me, is not real easy to shoot. If you are only going to shoot 2 or 3 baits then I would use the silver cup and fill it about half way. Push the cup up into the receptical and turn it to the side. You don't need to push it in there hard. It will wedge into place and stay there. You do not need to thin Createx with water. The stuff is just pour and shoot. If you run out of paint in the cup, then just pop the top and pour in some more paint. This is the one thing that I really do like about Createx. Yes, you will need to clean the gun between colors. I would get a scrap piece of cardboard and just set the pressure on the gun to about 12 to 18 psi to start with. 18 psi. is about my max for Createx. Use the #3 tip. Take the red plastic back off of the gun and learn to shoot without it. This gives you access to the nut in the back to adjust your needle forward or backward. Loosen the nut and push the needle all of the way forward. Just be easy with it. You do not have to push hard. Then pull the needle back just a touch and tighten the nut lightly. Give the cardboard a shot of paint and see if it shoots smoothly. You do not want to see dots or splatter appearing as you shoot. If it does then increase the pressure about 2lbs. at a time until it quits. This is where you need to be on your pressure. Get that shooting finger in shape. Pushing down on the trigger increases the amount of air and pulling back on the trigger increases the amount of paint that the gun puts out. If you need more flow still then back the needle out a little more. This will give you more paint comming out of the tip. With Createx, I have found that you cannot make more than a couple passes over an area or the pait will blow and run. However it does dry fairly quickly and you can do another pass or two after a couple of minutes. If you really need too you can fill the jar with water and have it sitting next to you to clean the gun quickly for another color. Run about half of the jar through the gun. Then disconnect the jar and shoot the gun dry to blow out the excess water. I have done this before and it will work. However, I like to clean the gun completely before I change colors. Spray the water on a piece of cardboard and make sure that you are not getting any color out of the gun before adding another color. Clean the gun with hot soapy water in a butter bucket and some dish soap. Then rinse the gun with hot water. It may sound like a pain, but as you do it more and more you will get pretty quick with the whole process. If you have any more questions, like how to tear the gun down completely just let me know. It is an easy gun to maintain.

Skeeter

Send me some mail. I shoot Createx about 98% of the time. Works fine in any of the Paasche a'brushes. Just need to get it thinned, figure out your best psi, and practice...practice...practice...

Definitely use the color cups. Bottles, quick connect adaptors do not work well with Createx and Paasche a'brushes. Paint just clogs 'em up.

Need to clearcoat the painted baits (at least 2 coats) using either Devcon 2-Ton Epoxy or Flex Coat. I prefer the FC high Build over the Devcon, but either will work. There are some other tabletop finishes and such that people use for this as well.