Tigger

I did my first carved head!

23 posts in this topic

Hey everybody, Well I tried my first carved head. I have mixed feelings on doing them. You do all that nice detail and the heavy epoxy fills it all in! When I did my sealer coat I tried to thin the epoxy and got some kind of stippled effect. Not what I wanted! After much sanding I got it back on track.

It is a musky, 8" floater. Here are some pics I took along the way.

Take care

John

DSC02895headcarve.jpg

DSC02897muskyheadprepox.jpg

DSC02908muskyhead.jpg

DSC02895headcarve.jpg

DSC02908muskyhead.jpg

DSC02895headcarve.jpg

DSC02908muskyhead.jpg

DSC02895headcarve.jpg

DSC02908muskyhead.jpg

DSC02895headcarve.jpg

DSC02908muskyhead.jpg

DSC02895headcarve.jpg

DSC02908muskyhead.jpg

DSC02895headcarve.jpg

DSC02908muskyhead.jpg

DSC02895headcarve.jpg

DSC02908muskyhead.jpg

1921_thumb.attach

1922_thumb.attach

1923_thumb.attach

If you fish that thing in the boat next to me, I'll probably be inclined to start doing a figure 8!

Amazing work.

Not only the carving is superb, but the blending of the colors is awesome. And the eyes are as good as real.

I copied the pictures in my computer, with the hope that in a few years I'll be able to make a crankbait almost as magnificent as yours!

May I ask what tools you used for the carving? I am interested to find out what tools are easier to work with, manual, Dremel, and which kind of tools or bits.

Thanks everyone! This lure thing is very addictive!

The tool that I used was a little sears craftsman dremmel. No flex line on it. Just a one piece. I got it when my father-in-law passed years ago. It was fun to try one. A ton of work though! I will not be doing to many of these. I wanted to try one.

It is all painted on this one. A Fatfingers tip saved me on this one. Sealing the undercoats first. I must have used a bottle of paint on the side patterns! I kept wiping them off and trying them again. I finally gave up. I need to get a high quality airbrush I think. Mine works great for fades and template work. Mini dots and stripes on little lures is nuts with the one I got! I really do enjoy the "realistic" type painting. I you where to ask me to paint a prison convict pattern it would take days for me!!!!!!!! Is the spacing right? Is the line straight? all sorts of things. I lock up big time!LOL

John

Thanks everyone! This lure thing is very addictive!

The tool that I used was a little sears craftsman dremmel. No flex line on it. Just a one piece. I got it when my father-in-law passed years ago. It was fun to try one. A ton of work though! I will not be doing to many of these. I wanted to try one.

It is all painted on this one. A Fatfingers tip saved me on this one. Sealing the undercoats first. I must have used a bottle of paint on the side patterns! I kept wiping them off and trying them again. I finally gave up. I need to get a high quality airbrush I think. Mine works great for fades and template work. Mini dots and stripes on little lures is nuts with the one I got! I really do enjoy the "realistic" type painting. I you where to ask me to paint a prison convict pattern it would take days for me!!!!!!!! Is the spacing right? Is the line straight? all sorts of things. I lock up big time!LOL

John

Before you dress it up, make a silicon mold from it. Urethane resin and micro balloons can get that piece of work to live on forever!

Thanks everybody! I love doing those life like patterns.

The eyes came from Vandykes

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/subcategory/29/

I buy the blank eyes and paint them myself. I use the ink paint pens from a craft store. The a couple of whifs with the airbrush in two colors. I found out that you don't have to put alot of paint on them to get the effect you need.

John