Tigger

I did my first carved head!

Hey everybody, Well I tried my first carved head. I have mixed feelings on doing them. You do all that nice detail and the heavy epoxy fills it all in! When I did my sealer coat I tried to thin the epoxy and got some kind of stippled effect. Not what I wanted! After much sanding I got it back on track.

It is a musky, 8" floater. Here are some pics I took along the way.

Take care

John

DSC02895headcarve.jpg

DSC02897muskyheadprepox.jpg

DSC02908muskyhead.jpg

DSC02895headcarve.jpg

DSC02908muskyhead.jpg

DSC02895headcarve.jpg

DSC02908muskyhead.jpg

DSC02895headcarve.jpg

DSC02908muskyhead.jpg

DSC02895headcarve.jpg

DSC02908muskyhead.jpg

DSC02895headcarve.jpg

DSC02908muskyhead.jpg

DSC02895headcarve.jpg

DSC02908muskyhead.jpg

DSC02895headcarve.jpg

DSC02908muskyhead.jpg

1921_thumb.attach

1922_thumb.attach

1923_thumb.attach

Thanks everyone! This lure thing is very addictive!

The tool that I used was a little sears craftsman dremmel. No flex line on it. Just a one piece. I got it when my father-in-law passed years ago. It was fun to try one. A ton of work though! I will not be doing to many of these. I wanted to try one.

It is all painted on this one. A Fatfingers tip saved me on this one. Sealing the undercoats first. I must have used a bottle of paint on the side patterns! I kept wiping them off and trying them again. I finally gave up. I need to get a high quality airbrush I think. Mine works great for fades and template work. Mini dots and stripes on little lures is nuts with the one I got! I really do enjoy the "realistic" type painting. I you where to ask me to paint a prison convict pattern it would take days for me!!!!!!!! Is the spacing right? Is the line straight? all sorts of things. I lock up big time!LOL

John

Thanks everyone! This lure thing is very addictive!

The tool that I used was a little sears craftsman dremmel. No flex line on it. Just a one piece. I got it when my father-in-law passed years ago. It was fun to try one. A ton of work though! I will not be doing to many of these. I wanted to try one.

It is all painted on this one. A Fatfingers tip saved me on this one. Sealing the undercoats first. I must have used a bottle of paint on the side patterns! I kept wiping them off and trying them again. I finally gave up. I need to get a high quality airbrush I think. Mine works great for fades and template work. Mini dots and stripes on little lures is nuts with the one I got! I really do enjoy the "realistic" type painting. I you where to ask me to paint a prison convict pattern it would take days for me!!!!!!!! Is the spacing right? Is the line straight? all sorts of things. I lock up big time!LOL

John

Before you dress it up, make a silicon mold from it. Urethane resin and micro balloons can get that piece of work to live on forever!

Thanks everybody! I love doing those life like patterns.

The eyes came from Vandykes

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/subcategory/29/

I buy the blank eyes and paint them myself. I use the ink paint pens from a craft store. The a couple of whifs with the airbrush in two colors. I found out that you don't have to put alot of paint on them to get the effect you need.

John