Urbanafishnguy

Making musky bucktails

Hello everyone I am a "newbie" to this site and am interseted in making my own musky bucktail spinners. I know what I need (kind of) as far as componets I'm not sure on the "how too" part. I am thinking a .051 wire for starters a #8 fluted blade some metal beads and weight and 3/0 treble hook or hooks.

Do any of you make your own spinners also?

I make my own jigs and a mepps style small spinner But haven't tried the musky sized ones yet.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Welcome aboard! The best advice I can give you is dont even start!:lol: Just kidding. When I began tying bucktails I examined proven store bought bucktails that I already had and basically copied them. The trickiest thing to me to learn was tying the bucktail. The next thing to master is the loops in your wire. You will find that .051 wire doesn't bend too easy. With a little practice(and a lot of scrapped wire) you will be able to bend nice loops. I use a pair of needlw nose and a pair od vice grips. Someday I may break down and buy a wire former(Boggs, Hagens) but until then I will bend the wire by hand. I buy throttle cable for lawn mowers and cut the coiled outer piece into 1 1/2" to 2" lengths. These coils are great to tie on and easier than tying the tail directly on a hook.When you are done with the tail simply slide the coil on your wire shaft. Make sure to coat your thread wraps after completing a layer with nail polish or head cement.I would also suggest epoxying the final head wrap with Devcon. Have fun and don't get discouraged!:yay:

without getting a really big fancy wirebender thingy take a vice (you said you wanted to tie anyways) put the wire in the slot in the vice(i havent tried this with wire that big). pull some out the bottom. now the tricky part pull the wire around the vice WITH PLIERS. pull it tight to the vice then start wrapping it around the wire shaft then cut off the excess. thry to get it as tight as possible and atach the hooks with a split ring

Thanks for the info guys as I stated I am already making a smaller version of what I want kind of that I use on smallies here in the cedar river.

Do you have any suggestions on what size beads and weights to buy and any suggestions on where to buy @ a good price without having to buy a lot of pieces to get started?

Thanks