FlippinFast

Need help pouring spinnerbait heads

Guys i'm new at pouring and when ever i pour heads i cant get the collar on the head to form. I have a do it mold model # sj-3h-sa. I have been using do it hooks. My melting pot is a lee that uses a lever type system that releases the lead into the cavity. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

there is a the chance that it needs to be hotter. spinnerbaits are hard to pour under the pot. if you can make it a little hoter and use a latle to pour. Just put the latle in the lead so it gets hot and fill it up out the bottom. that way you will not have to get anther pot. I wish i was there the help you threw the problems. there is other things that could be wrong like did you heat the mold leaving it on top of your pot or pouring blanks ????

I have heated my mold by using a mapp gas torch and i put it on a grill burner. My lead was so hot it was glowing orange. Still no luck. Just about ready to call it quits. Can anybody make me some heads with .029 size wire that is 1/4 oz and 3/8 without the wire bent?Thanks to all who replied.

FlippinFast

sounds like you do need a vent richoc was talking about. take a razer blade and cut a small v in the location of the short to the out side of the mold to let the air out. don't give up once you have it down the you will be able to make them any time you want and not wait on some one else!!!

With a bottom pour pot you need to be as close as possible to your spru on your mold when you pour. If it's not working try a hot pot or a ladle.

Never heat your mold with mapps!!!! Way too hot - also if you got your lead to glow red you got that too hot also.

I found that using wheel weight is a major problem with spinnerbait heads. You really need soft lead, also if your hooks are cold when you pour the lead will harden as soon as it hits it and cause the same problem. I heat all my hooks and wires on a hot plate and then pour them. I dont have any issues any longer.