basserdrew

3rd x a charm? Need lure maker!

Ok, this will be the third time I have posted this in the past couple years. Maybe this time will be the one where I finally find someone to make a prototype of my lure. Bottom line is, I need someone who can make a jointed bait.

I had several people PM me before and now those PM's are gone. I guess they go away after a while? I remember one guy in VA that I was going to contact next, but his PM is gone and I dont remember his name. The other person that was going to do it also runs a lure company and is just too slammed with work and can't garuntee me that he will get to it anytime soon. The project has been sitting on his desk for at least 6 months now and I dont have any more time to wait.

So, who out there has a lot of experience with jointed baits? I am looking for someone in the southeast that can make a joined bait that we have designed and is patent pending. The action is what we need to get perfected. The paint is not important at all right now. We (my company) can pay you for your efforts. Please contact me and let me know if you or someone you know may be able to tackle this project that should take a day or two to complete.

OK. It hasn't been 24 hours yet, but I got the impression that the guy was in a hurry.

True, I am not from the south east, but the courier service is not too bad from the UK. If he is that keen to get the work done and pay for it, a few dollars of postal charges should not be a problem.

I responded with a PM to this plea as soon as I saw it. I enjoy prototyping and getting things to work. In fact, I would have done the job for free yesturday, but my hourly rate is increasing by the hour.

Personally, if I was after a quick response, I would be monitoring my computer constantly. Oh yeah, I do that anyway!

Has anyone else PM'd this guy? Any response? Is there anybody out there?

Am I being unreasonable to expect at least an acknowledgement to my response?

I wasn't overly impressed by his opening line, but from personal experience, it is easy to get the wrong idea about people from first impressions, so I decided to give him a chance, benefit of the doubt and all that.

He has been a member of this 'club' for three years and posted three times, each time asking for a favour. No contributions towards discussions, no input of ideas, techniques etc, no opinions, just take. Not exactly in the spirit of TU.

Is it just me, or am I just having a bad day. Could be, I've dipped four in the pond today without the result that I was looking for, not a good reccomendation for the job!

Now the decision, do I press the button?

Aarrrh what th

I have to agree, it just does not make sense. It's not that dificult to whittle a stick of balsa to test a theory. I did five today and have a bunch more planned for tomorrow.

If he really cannot do it himself. I would have taken it to a craftsman outside of the industry, someone who had no interest in lures and unlikely to steal the idea. Surely he must know someone who could have done the job, family, friends etc.

Something not quite right.

Geez, you guys are rough. A guy goes out of town this morning and finally gets back late tonight and I am already being "rude" on here? I run a fishing website, with message boards and I have never seen anyone get upset after only 22 hours. I responded the same day that the messages were sent, sorry if that is not quick enough for you.

pm_new.gif March 3rd, 2007 anybody there?

12:13 PM Vodkaman

pm_new.gif March 3rd, 2007 prototype

06:39 AM Vodkaman

I am not a lure maker. Believe me, if I could make this myself I wouldnt be on here trying to find someone to pay to make it. Last time I recalled a paying job is not a "favor." I came to where I thought I could find someone who may be interested in carving a lure for me. I wish I could contribute more to this site, but like I said, I do not have crafting skills like many of you do.

What got me on this deal was that he says he owns a company and wants to produce a bait that he has to have someone else to make for him?:huh:

Hate to be the one to break this to you, but that is what most all fishing companies do - get someone else to make the bait and sell it with their name. The idea is the company. I think that you think our company is big or making profit or something. We are neither, until we get this made.

This lure is not simple by any means. You can't just find any craftsman to make it. It has to be a person who has experience with fishing lures and more specifically jointed ones. If any of you knew what it was, you would understand. The problem is, I can't tell you what it is so you will just have to take my word for it. Just because someone can invent or think up the idea does not mean they can make it.

One person on this site has already made a couple prototypes, but some more work by a more experienced carver needs to be done. He had never attemped a jointed bait before, but did very well for his first time.

I did respond to one other person who PM'd me right away but he couldn't accept PMs back or something. So, I tried to contact him another way. It has been over 24 hours and I haven't heard from him. I am sure he will get back to me when he can. :wink:

Normally, after the day I've had, I would be apologising to someone around about now. But I have re-read the post, replies and all the correspondence and feel no remorse, in fact after the above post, I feel even more aggrieved.

Yes, I found your web site earlier. Wasn't sure if it was the same Basserdrew, their are a few out there. But as a site administrator, you should know better than to post someones PM's.

Also, as a site administrator, you should have known that your request belonged in the classifieds in my opinion, as money was to change hands.

If you are not a constructor, why are you a member of this site? Are you one of those spies that we talk about so often, lurking around, picking up other peoples ideas. I cannot think of any other reason for you wanting to be a member.

You are a 'taker' sir, we need 'givers'.

I didn't post your PM, just the titles and proof of the times in which they were sent to show that it had not even been one day.

You obviously don't think that giving a person on this site the chance to make a prototype for a lure that could be all over the world one day is contributing. I would think that it is certainly contributing by giving someone an opportunity to make some money for their hobby/passion. I failed to read the part when registering that I must know about lure making and "contribute" XX number of posts before I am allowed to post about anything else.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. Now, please lets get this topic back to its original purpose. Although, I fear the thread has been hijacked from its purpose.

No, I think the thread is still good.

I was rash and glib with my opinions and I apologise for offending you.

I have been given a severe public wrist slapping by a senior and respected member, so we could probably call it quits.

If you do not find what you are looking for PM me. As long as it is not a hunting lure, as that would conflict with my own work.

The thing you have to understand is that some of us are a bit "gun shy". There have been lurkers on here that were up to no good. So' when we see a post like that some members will have a "knee jerk" reaction to it. That doesn't make it right but it's not that often that we get an honest one.:o

Good luck with your endeavour. If I can help; just ask.

www.novalures.com

Thanks to both of you. I hope one day I can post a picture of this bait on this site and thank the folks on here who helped make it a reality.

No hard feelings either, just a misunderstanding and I know where you are coming from.

BTW, I am out of town again and may have limited internet access. I see I have 2 PMs. I will get to them now. If you PM me in the next few days I may be delayed getting back to you, but maybe not.

The person who keeps PMing me and I cannot respond to PM'd me again and it told me they do not accept PM's. I tried contacting them via their website but to no avail.

Please send me an email at drew750@gmail.com so that we can correspond. I have no problem with letting two people try their hand at this project and just use the one that turns out to me more what we are looking for.