BanjoKat

Split Ring Madness

Here's the deal. I'm trying to put split rings on my casting spoons and I keep scratching my cool paint job:mad:. The split ring tool that I am using is the Premium split ring pliers that Barlows sells: http://www.barlowstackle.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=6&Product_ID=2224&CATID=115. I'm thinking that maybe it isn't opening the ring enough, but when I get the ring on it doesn't close up tightly if you know what I mean. Is there a magic trick to this? I'm using a #5 heavy split ring on 2 7/8 casting spoon.

Thanks!

Could you put a piece of tape over the hole on the painted side, and once you get the ring on pull the tape off?

I had tried the tape but the split ring sliding across the tape still transferred to the paint. The split rings would also gouge the paint through the tape when I slid the last part through.

I also cut a small piece of plastic to cover the end of the spoon to try and protect it but it was really awkward and tedious. I didn't end up with good results either.

How does that company with the red and white spoons do it..... :)

The best thing I ever did for split ring work was to buy a good pair of split ring pliers. By good I mean NOT the cheap aluminum ones. Forged steel pliers from Texas Tackle or another quality manufacturer. If you fish or build baits, you may as well buy some. They'll save countless hours, broken fingernails and a bunch of bent split rings.

Well, the Texas Tackle pliers are by far the best I've used...

But how about looking at it from a different angle? How about painting AFTER you've installed the rings...Or leave the very tip unpainted (perhaps masking with tape) so there's no paint right there to scrape?

Clemmy

I keep looking at the Texas split ring pliers. I contacted the company too. They wanted me to ship them samples of what I'm working with. Hmm..... I did try the "don't paint the tips" method then after I put the split rings on I did some touch up with the paint. It stood out too much, obvious that I had done a touch up, for my taste. I even made my own split ring pliers out of a needle nose. It helped spread the ring pretty good, but then the gap that remained in the ring was just plain embarrassing. I think next I'd like to try some lighter gage rings like scoop10 mentioned. I just have to find some nickel rings...

TuningGuru: That's an idea to ponder. I was thinking about doing something like that to make my own weedless spoons. The premade blanks from tackle supply stores are a bit spendy.

Thanks for all the tips! The people here sure are helpful!:worship: