Dweller

Circut Board

Mavrick

Did you buy it, get the punch made or make it?

This subject has not really been explored on TU. If you made your own punch, would you mind imparting some of your knowledge, or does anyone else out there have any experience of making simple punches.

Would a shaped steel pipe with a sharp edge do it?

Thank's in advance.

Vodkaman,

I designed the dies on autocad and had a local machine shop make them. My cost was 1500.00 they knock out four at a time. It also has a backstop and a cut off to remove the scrap. The dies have a knife edge that allows it to cut through the material half way and then punch it the rest of the way out. This set up will punch out around 3800 pieces an hour. Now thats alot of lips!

And you better like that lip shape before you buy the die! I read here on TU where someone got a community college machine shop class to build a die and mechanical press for almost nothing. Good example of your tax dollars at work :) I don't think a hand hewn steel pipe would do the trick.

Probably not, Just thought I would ask before before wasting my time.

There is no low volume short cut here.

I am considering a mini NC milling machine, not just for lips and bodies. I have other applications for the machine outside of fishing lures, so could possibly justify the expence.

A ways to go before I reach that stage. Thank's.

It's getting away from the subject, so, sorry about the deviation.

I get carried away with my CAD and end up with wierd and wonderful shapes, so it would be used for roughing out masters to be used for prototype POP molds.

When everything works, I would get the molds professionally machined in aluminium.

These are just thoughts at this stage, but not too far off.