bamabass

Dremel

6 posts in this topic

I use a Dremel sanding drum to round over the edges and to do tapering, but then switch to 220 and 400 grit sandpaper for final smoothing and to remove any shaping marks. The Dremel works fast enough that you need to mark guidelines on the lure for the center and tapers so you can keep everything symetrical. But it has other uses: drill holes for hangers, make recessed eye holes and ballast holes, clean dried clearcoat out of hook hangers, shape lips, remove old finish with a flap sander. Seems I wear out a Dremel every 1-2 yrs and get a new one. They have a 5 yr warranty so buying one guarantees a lifetime supply :) You do have to pay attention when shaping balsa; wood disappears so fast that you can end up with a toothpick if you're not careful. Also, woods with alternately soft and very hard grain (paulownia comes to mind) are hard to Dremel sand without digging in where the soft grain runs out on the lure. As a low volume hobby builder who builds a variety of designs and is always changing my crankbaits, the Dremel is my main power tool.

Good post BobP! I also use a dremel for my carvings. Altough it is new to me, it has really helped my carving out. I reccommend one to anyone who is curious.

we use dremels for drilling screw holes. fantastic tool but we dont use for sanding. thats for the belt sanders