Muskyslayer

wire twisting tool help

hi i new to twisting wire so big. but i make my own leaders and i was wondering what everyone was using to twist the wires for bucktails and in there through wire lures with heavy wire in them. where everyone got what they are using all i have been finding are ones that go up to .051" i dont think that is heavy enough. unless im wrong not sure? .i would like to know how big of wire everyone normal uses in there bucktails and topwater lures. and the best ways and tools to use to twist bigger wire. any help would be great thanks in advance for the help.

thanks mic

I don't do that heavy, but I haven't seen lure making benders beyond .051. You might be able to modify an hand industrial rod bender somehow. The only I've heard of do it by hand. Luremaking.com does have .062 shafts and loops, so maybe you could get by just bending one end....

Clemmy

Hi Muskyslayer-

I just miked the wire diameter on some commercially made bucktails.

Blue Fox Vibrax was .030, Mepps Giant Killer .039, Hirsch's Ghostail .045, and Both VooDoo Tail and Wendel's Musky Harasser were .051.

I usually use .045 or .051 on my bucktails and .063 for throughwire surface Baits. You can get shafts in various diameters and lengths from Jann's or Stamina or buy it by the foot from Moore's Lures.Try using the search feature in the wire baits forum for more ideas and info. Good Luck!

I bend wire as thick as .072 with round nose pliers and a pair of vise grips. You can find the round nose pliers at Sears or check ebay. With a little practice you can get pretty good results.

Agree 100 percent...I bend and wrap all my crankbait harnesses with 19 gauge stainless all with vice grips and and two kinds of pliers, round nose and a large pair of needlenose fishing pliers. I also use various simple bending and accuracy jigs, made with headless nails driven into small blocks of wood. I haven tried any of the larger dies for the larger wire with any of the commercial tools I see advertized.

Dean

thanks for all the help and info looks like i will go with the pliers untill i find or make some thing else also looks like i will buy some wire with loops on one end for now. can get pre looped wire close by. also went to sears to get the round nose pliers and they didnt have them there it was order online thing looks like ill have to order and wait. thanks again

mic

Most craft shops also have the round nose pliers, Michael's, Hobby Lobby, as they are also used for beading wire. I was surprised at the quality at the pair I got from Michael's some time ago, for a cheap plier.

Dean

I got some Round Nose pliers from Walmart's Craft Section, very inepensive, good quality. I've been bending .045 and .0625 SS wire with it!