snooterfish

Paint Set Time

Snooter,

IMHO I do'nt believe there is a set or determined time for clearing as far as createx is concerned. Personally I have cleared baits litterally within minutes of painting them. As long as the paint is dry I've never had a problem. As a matter of fact just last nite I painted 6 baits and from priming to dotting the eyes and having them turning on the dryer.....45 minutes.

I was'nt trying to set a speed record they were just easy paint schemes. There are some that may have a different outlook on this but this is just the way I did it.:whistle:

I flash dry Createx with a hair dryer and don't have a specific wait period before I clearcoat with Devcon. But I usually take a short break. I suspect acrylic is not fully dried/cured until its slight acidic odor goes away but any remaining moisture in the paint will not affect epoxy curing. I haven't noticed any related paint adhesion problems but a TU custom buillder who makes large batches might have more insight into that.

I always use it straight because I like a thicker clearcoat and plan my baits accordingly. Epoxy engineers say it's strongest if you don't add anything. But if you feel the need to thin (I know it's cold right now where many guys are building their baits!) a few drops of denatured alcohol or lacquer thinner will not cause a disaster. If you like thinner coats, Envirotex Lite is a popular option (it contains solvent so will make solvent based colors run).

I use it straight. If you need to thin it, a few drops of denatured alcohol or lacquer thinner mixed in after the 2 parts are mixed will not cause a disaster - but epoxy companies say it's strongest when nothing is added.