fatfingers

Does a chicken have lips?

Trying out a new lip shape:

DSC00270.jpg

I know its not an innovation, but I'm hoping it works, because from my experience, this lip pattern has some advantages because it can keep fat baits from rolling over and it allows the lure to run a bit shallower while at the same time keeping farther behind the boat while trolling. If it works, I'll be able to build baits that stay in the 4 to 8 foot zone without being right so close to the boat while musky fishing.

This was my first attempt. I'm hoping to try it in larger and smaller sizes to see what effect it has on this and other body configurations.

The baits shown is about 6 inches long made from 1/2 inch cherry.

Now I got to wait for the local river to thaw.:)

Trying out a new lip shape:

As for a Chicken having lips: If Etch has anything to do with it, the answer is YES!

I know its not an innovation, but I'm hoping it works, because from my experience, this lip pattern has some advantages because it can keep fat baits from rolling over and it allows the lure to run a bit shallower while at the same time keeping farther behind the boat while trolling. If it works, I'll be able to build baits that stay in the 4 to 8 foot zone without being right so close to the boat while musky fishing.

This was my first attempt. I'm hoping to try it in larger and smaller sizes to see what effect it has on this and other body configurations.

The baits shown is about 6 inches long made from 1/2 inch cherry.

Now I got to wait for the local river to thaw.:)

So, you'll be trying it come June, eh!;) LaPala and Vytautas have "Bent" Lexan with good results, and as you said, it allows for action different from a straight lip. I would suggest you also try using SS (.022) and brass as lip materials. They are easier to configure and can be adjusted after construction.:twocents:

Thanks, Skeeter. I bent that one by holding the Lexan in boiling water held by a jig I cut. The jig was designed so that when I bent the Lexan it could only be bent at the exact angle I wanted.

Husky, I've already made a few lips out of .22 gauge stainless, but I've got to get a blade for my bandsaw. So far I've been cutting the stainless with a jigsaw, which vibrates so much I get nosebleeds, or with the Dremel, which makes so much noise it kills all the wildlife within a 6 mile radius. The stainless is nice when you get one done. I'm looking forward to June for those too.:lol:

Thanks, Skeeter. I bent that one by holding the Lexan in boiling water held by a jig I cut. The jig was designed so that when I bent the Lexan it could only be bent at the exact angle I wanted.

Husky, I've already made a few lips out of .22 gauge stainless, but I've got to get a blade for my bandsaw. So far I've been cutting the stainless with a jigsaw, which vibrates so much I get nosebleeds, or with the Dremel, which makes so much noise it kills all the wildlife within a 6 mile radius. The stainless is nice when you get one done. I'm looking forward to June for those too.:lol:

Rough cut around the template with aviation snips then take it down the rest of the way with a grinder. Finishing touches are done with a fine file. Drill all holes prior to cutting. Spinning SS will cost you your other thumb.

Here's what I use. Glue it on to the SS, drill, cut and bend. 5 minutes, start to finish, even with 9 digits!;)

DannyLip.jpg