bamabass

Fiber Optic Eyes

For fibre optic eyes, you would have to have a light source in the lure and then run a couple of hundred lengths of fibres to the eye sockets. It is just not worth the effort. You might as well just fit two lights in the eye sockets.

LED's (Light Emiting Diodes) have progressed in leaps and bounds in the last few years. Finally, white and blue led's are available. In the past, lure builders have used the common red led as an eye. But, as discussed several times on this site, red is the first colour to disappear with depth and blue the longest lasting. Probably explains why most fish tend to be coloure from the blue end of the colour spectrum.

Led's are water proof, give off no heat and can be epoxied.

The new led's are not cheap and are fairly power hungry. But using a strobing circuit to switch the lights on and off very fast, the 'on' time can be 2% of the 'off' time. Thus, with this power saving, a small battery can be used. It would also be possible to build an automatic switch so that the lure only operates in the water, utilising the conductivity of the impurities in the water.

The electronics for all of this, are fairly simple (for an electronics guy). I am surprised that no one has produced a sealed unit selling specifically to the lure building industry.

The same circuit with a few timing mods could be used for producing an array of click sounds, or both sound and light.

I've been away from the electronic hobby scene for too many years and my eyes are failing, otherwise I would have taken on the project myself. Maybe you know someone.

We really need a tape of fish sounds. I wasn't aware that their was much noise going on. But it does make evolutionary sense, as sound travels further and louder in water than air.

Once we have the sound pattern, it is not too dificult to reproduce electronically, even fairly complicated patterns. I think sound has more potential than flashing lights. Even magnetic pulses are a viable option and it is fairly common knowledge that electrical discharge occurs and is used for sensing prey. Again, do-able.

Flashing lights are mainly used for catching fishermen, fisherwomen obviously being less gullible than men.

You have to be careful with artificially lighted lures as they are illegal in some areas. Better to check with your local DNR first to be safe.

www.novalures.com

:worship:

also beware of any electronis that emitt sound.

It always amazed me that the first thing people do is shake a crankbait to see if it rattles:? I have never heard the sound a shad or baitfish emitts or if they even do make a sound that the human ear can detect. Crawdads on the other had make a very distinct "tic-tic".....

Rattles are something I use but put little emphasis on. The action of the bait (lure) and the vibration it puts off is much more important as that sound travels thru the water and is picked up by the fishes lateral line.

If you ever get a chance to go to the Bass Pro Shop in Springfield Missouri, make sure you make the show where they feed the bass. It is well worth the time. A diver enters the tank (scuba gear) and feeds the bass goldfish. The diver has a microphone where he can talk to the audience and he describes a bit of how fish react. He released a goldfish behind a bass.....about 6 inches from the tail. As soon as he released that gold fish, the bass did a 180 and inhaled the golfish. just my :twocents:

I agree Tally. Fish use their lateral lines much more than their eyes. Actually fish will detect prey with their lines first; their noses second and the eyes don't come into it until they get close to the prey.(and that distance can vary depending on the water).

How many times does a guy throw a spinnerbait to one spot 4 or 5 times before he gets bit. I have to laugh when I see guys make one cast to a spot and then move on if they don't get bit. I've come right behind them and caught nice fish in the same spot a couple of miutes later. It takes time for the fish to identify where the sound is coming from and then to get there to see what the heck is in his territory.

I'm a little off subject here; sorry. Anyway, what I'm saying is that fishing really does not have to be complicated; lights, buzzers, electonic swimming lures, etc are just bling bling for the dum dum.lol

www.novalures.com

Check out the video Stripers Gone Wild ....... I think they have a couple of clips of baitfish sounds.

I also heard some undwater recordings of baitfish ........ they sounded something like a rattle trap only much softer ..........

To me a little glow painted eyes and some small rattles would do almost the same thing with a fraction if the expense and effort ........

although ........ you could increase and decrease the intensity of the light and the sound with the clarity of the water etc

Want to learn Electronics fast and easy, Try Electronic Kits International Inc 178 south State Street, Orem UT 84058-54420. 800-453-1708 and the Fax 801 224 5880. Its a lab kit $24.00 part #1101 complete lab.

I was an Electronics Instructor for over Ten years at the public school level, this is how I started my students out.

A 555 timer circuit with two leds at the outputs could be used for the blinking eyes, change the RC time constant and they would blink faster or slower so you could adjust the frequency.

The hard part would be to make a water proof storage and be able to replace the battery half way through the season.