titowoody

Pouring Tungsten Jigheads and weights

I have come to love Tungsten for my Texas Rig worm waits. Tungsten is twice the density of steel therefore half the size. A 1/4oz tungsten is the size of 1/8oz lead, this reduction in surface area makes for a quick deep diving weight, great for Drop Shoting.

The greater density also creates a distinctive clicking sound when bounced over rocks. I am a firm believer in lateral line detection and lead has a dull thunk compared to what I know refer to as the dinner bell worm weights.

Parasite makes a neat product but only small sizes of Tungsten. A lot of Tourny guys would like to see a bigger Tungsten, would be much quicker to punch through the late summer slop.

Was a bit shocked to see the melting point of Tungsten @ 3400C. This will require a mini blast furnace setup.

Curious to see if any other TU'ers have dabbled into pouring Tungsten. The spot price on Tungsten is also quite high which translates into the much higher cost.

In Cananda we might as well start getting ready now for a ban on lead is looming, just like lead shot ban for waterfowl. It is already in effect in all The Federal Parks.

Time to look into Ye Olde Blast Furnace.

Cheers

TW

Did a little research on alternatves to lead, too. Like many here with all the lead bans & such. Tungsten had it's obvious draw backs for the small time operation or home builder. If you do a search on E-Bay there's some sources for tungsten pellets & epoxy mixes that might be an alternatve. I just never followed up on it because the other alternatves work well for me.

I heard through the grapevine that tungsten jigs are not 100% tungsten. they say that it is lead with a tungsten powder mixed in, the powder is recycled tungsten or an epoxy mixture as stated. what I was told is that molten tungsten would melt a hook. This is all hearsay so don't hold this to me. I am not a metalurgist.

I have tinkered with tin and tin alloys......tin melts off at approx 450 F, in that neighborhood somewhere...it is much harder than lead, and therefore, it does not pour/flow as smoothly as lead...BUT, it does work....I have done simple castings with tin, and had success at pouring with it.

It is about 2/3 the density of lead......which means your jigheads are actually lighter....which is not bad...makes the jig fall slower.

it is a whole different animal than pouring lead...but doable with some patience

JM

www.daimonlures.com

this is my first thread and have found very useful info on this site with mold pours and material.

I have to think that tungsten weights are half the volume of lead weights when roughly half the size as well. I would like to pour an alternative to lead weights and i can see where tungsten can present a problem because of tungstens high melting point. i have to think there is a happy medium when using a tin based alloy with tungsten to achieve the same density as lead. the problem however is bonding the two elements together. i know a little about metalurgy and know that when two elements are melted together it actually lowers the melting point of the alloy. not sure why that is but it's the case for brass. does anyone know how i can pour and tin/tungsten based alloy without a blast furnace? i actually have one at my disposal but would like to know of other alternatives before i pursue it.

thanks in advanced and really like the website.

alex

If you're willing to pay around $20 per lb. bismuth metal has similar melting and pouring properties as lead. It's melting point at 520* is actually less than lead at 622*. Weighs about 85% as much as lead compared to tin at 63%. Bismuth is a bit brittle but not a problem as long as you don't bounce above the surface rocks or other hard objects. Alloying with tin will strengthen and impart a shinier finish to castings though the alloy will be lightened in proportion to the amount of tin. Bismuth/tin alloys will have lower melting points than the pure metals and heating to 350* for powder paint may not be possible. Both metals are considered environmentally friendly.

Found this doing a Google of tungsten toxicity:

"In the USSR since 1950, the toxicological and environmental effects of tungsten were investigated, including tungsten concentrations in natural and contaminated soils and water reservoirs; tungsten uptake by plants; and tungsten toxicity. Environmental regulations of tungsten pollution were then developed based on these studies: tungsten was assigned to the 3rd toxicity group (moderate dangerous chemical compounds) for air in the populated areas and soil, and to the 2nd toxicity group (higher dangerous chemical compounds) for water reservoirs."

According to the Tru-Tungsten website, their product is 97% metal. And from Google links, the melting point of tungsten is 6,192*F., a cast iron pot 2,795*F, and an aluminum(pure) mold 1,221*F. I actually melted an aluminum pot when first starting lead casting - good thing my work table had a sheet aluminum top. Still a big blob of aluminum welded on the table as a reminder.

Ok, let me chime in here, first off, tungsten is about as tough a metal as you can find... you will find it is used on missle nose cones... Most tungsten weights are 'machined" not molded... Nobody is going to be molding tungsten in there garage... unless your garage is the lockheed skunk works...

my guess is the tungsten jigs and spinnerbaits are a powder epoxy mix... that would make it a really heavy plastic with a tungsten suspension... easy to figure out, grab your tungsten jig with pliers and squeeze, you do any damage then you got a mix... I find it all but impossible to mold a pure tungsten jighead... you would black out your whole town before you got the right tempurature... not only would the hooks be melted but the mold and garage too...

This opens some doors though... Tungsten powder mixed with plastic in molds...

As far as lead bans go, a jighead is still good anywhere, they just ban plain sinkers...

At best, you could melt down a couple tungsten fishing weights into a shiny round blob, and then show all your fishing buddies how smart you are :wink: .

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Oh boy, I'm on it!!!

Thanks for the interesting read! I've never actually used tungsten weights, but have heard a lot about them. Of course, you could pick a pro, have him tell the world that he uses 'x' because of 'y', and have yourself some believers quick, which is what my first thought with tungsten weights was.

I know of 3 states that ban lead, not just sinkers but all lead, they are in the Northeast and the movement is growing.

Rodney

It's probably a good idea for most companies to start moving to tungsten, the lead bans will have a drastic effect on companies like Danielson and eagle claw

It's probably a good idea for most companies to start moving to tungsten, the lead bans will have a drastic effect on companies like Danielson and eagle claw

It was not supported by the sport fishing industry.I'm sure the "tree huggers and loon lovers" will try again and fail. Just like "global warming"- it seems groups today have a narrative they are supporting- w/out facts and science. Just look @ the pollution that continues today in our rivers from endocrine disruptors that have effected humans and fish. One is birth control residues that out current water filtration systems cannot remove. I don't hear or see the fanatics yaking about this.