docirv

Anybody else get a letter from Rad lure's lawyers

Did you take them off of your site? How did they determine that they needed to contact you?

IMHO this is a classic case of a company that over charges for a hot bait and then wonders why every company in the world wants in on the action. If that bait would have come out at a reasonable price to begin with, the level of competition would have been reasonable. The simplicity of this lure never warranted $6 a piece.

My 2 cents.

Tim

Yup got my notice also.We even had a weedguard on ours so there was the 10% change needed .But we pulled ours anyway we only started making them 3 months ago just to answer the calling.It reads to me that you can't even use the word chatter in a product used for fishing.What does everyone else think?We sold very few and didn't even want to make them so not sweat off our backs.

What about the other big manufacturers selling these style baits? Will they be pulling theirs as well? I would just change the look a little (add a slight curve to the sides of the blade, add a weedguard, etc.) and name it something different like "Clattering Bait" and keep on selling them. That's what all the big company's do.

I received one too. I sent back a reply stating basically to bring it on. They don't have a case. They need to walk a fine line with me. I will countersue their ass and let them pay all of my court and attorney costs. They can kiss my ass. Screw them! Their asses could be sued themselves. The original "chatter bait" was created by Guy Eaker, called the "Eaker Shaker."

I also received this 12 page letter on Monday of last week. All it is in my opinion is Scare Tactics. They have been turned down once already for their patent and now they have it under appeal. If you read what they are trying to patent you will understand why it was turned down. They don't want you to have a skirt and trailer in the same place as theirs!!! That is just plain ridiculous since everyone and their uncle has been rigging a jig in this manor for years. It states on page 3 paragraph 2 that the hexagonal design is not part of the patent claim, no kidding, its hard to patent a shape that has been around for 1000+ years. They do not have a leg to stand on, all they have are scare tactics and from some of the responses I see they already won with some of you. Don't be bullied by a company that created a bait with parts that are available to the masses. What exactly are they trying to patent? Now, as far as the word "Chatter" goes. They do have a Trademark on certain "Chatter Words". If you are using the word Chatter and are producing a lure with a similar design you may have a problem with infringing upon their trade dress marks.

Here is my proposal. I would like to get a list of individuals and small companies that have received this letter and file a counter to their letter forewarning them that if they continue with their threats that we will file harassment charges against them that include damages to our livelihood from the lack of potential income from ceasing production of our lures with the understanding that we were violating a patent pending mark. If by chance we were not violating this patent then they will be held liable for loss of revenue and possibly loss of wages from the help that we had to let go due to the lack of work. Anyone want to sign my list?

Email me at Karl@GotstaFishTackleCo.Com

Hi fellows ,I was at the BASS MASTERS CLASSIC in Feb. and talked to the owner of Rad lures and asked about all the copycays? He said his lawyers were working overtime to stop the knockoffs.He wouldn't tell me if he had a design patent or utility patent. I believe the letter is the real deal.

sidewinder

Got my registered mail saturday. I need to compare with somebody else.

I sell just the components on ebay, not even the finished product.

They said that the consumers might be confused by the words "build your own chatter type baits" and think that these are actual Rad Lures components. Anybody Here think that?

I heard about a year ago Zucker (zman) was going to do that but I cant believe I got one for components. Go figure.

i havent gotten the letter yet but...i agree with B&D...i didnt want to make them to begin with, just trying to give a hand full of good clients an alternative to an overpriced ugly jig. i gave the original a shot on a few trips and threw it out when i didnt get bit. i guess the bass in our tidal rivers aint too much in tune to the chatter either. i too included a weedguard and also modified the blade a little to give a more "rocking" type action but hey, i dont mind not making them in large quantities...what i make as gifts on a personal level for the few people that want them is none of their business nor juridiction. :mad:

Tater

Chowan River Lure Co.

Guys this has been about a year in the works. I know for a fact now that they have the patent and name rights to "Chatter". The gentleman that used to own "Chatter Buzz" sold his company to a friend of Rad Lures and he has sold them the name rights. This was all done to go after and stop all the knock offs of their baits. A couple of years ago they applied for patent and trademark but was denied because it was to close to "Chatter Buzz". So when they got the name rights they can go after everyone. I'd be very careful when pushing these guys because they have the documentation on their side now.

I have nothing to do with Rad Lures but do still talk to the owner and previous owner of "Chatter Buzz".

Charlie

no one is disputing the chatter name is or can be patented. they are sending letters to anyone selling a knockoff period. no one on here that i know of uses chatter in their names. i got a letter and i call them water rockers.

they are trying to patent something thats been around before they made it famous. its a ridiculous claim

If they've got the patent and trademark on it, it doesn't matter what you call them. The trademark would be for the name and the patent would be the design. Even if someone makes a similar bait that is 10% different Rad can push the issue and force you to court to prove the difference unless you have a patent on your bait.

Thats the purpose of the patent to protect the designer. If yours is different and want to keep producing it then I would get a patent on it as well. This is just the nature of the business. You don't have to be the first to develope a bait you just have to be the first to patent it. Now 10 years from now when the patent expires if Rad doesn't renew then you can do what you wish at that point.

Charlie

have you received the letter? they arent trying to patent the blade. they are trying to patent skirt placement and everything at the back end of the body.

apparently they arent being successful with these letters, plenty of people here are still making them, and there are 4 + brands at EVERY major store that are knockoffs.

No I haven't received the letter because I don't make them. They aren't trying to patent they do have the patent. You can check the patent and trademark office for the details of the patent. The name portion is owned by "Chatter Buzz" who has sold the name rights to Rad Lures which can stop anyone from using the word "Chatter".

I'm not trying to get into an argument about this with anyone I was just passing on my opinion. I've been through the patent and trademark thing with our baits and have both. So take it for what it is worth.

Charlie

im not either. im just sharing what information I have, and others on the board as well. the ENTIRE patent is included in the letter I and others have received. Ive read it cover to cover. And they dont technically have the patent yet. it was turned down once, and is now being looked at again, its still in the patent pending stage.

im not either. im just sharing what information I have, and others on the board as well. the ENTIRE patent is included in the letter I and others have received. Ive read it cover to cover. And they dont technically have the patent yet. it was turned down once, and is now being looked at again, its still in the patent pending stage.

Thats the way I understand it as well. They are trying to patent a jig :huh: They are also trying to patent the curve in the blade but not the blade itself. The letter states that if you have any questions to email them and they will be glad to help. I have emailed them 4 times asking what exactly I am doing to infringe upon their rights and I will change it. The first email went out months ago, I am still waiting for a response... Some help.