VANNDALIZER

Duplication!?

OK, This is a deep subject. I have seen several posts of duplication machines and so forth BUT! Has anyone made one of these things or thought about it? Is there even a market for it if you had something good??? Affordable, Low maintanance, Automated or manual?

Whats the word from the people that know best!!! Would lure crafters pay for a well built machine if it was affordable??? Just a thought, Trying to put my degree to use at an affordable price! I LOVE THIS SITE!! MAV

I think the key word is "affordable"!!! To a guy who does this as a hobby vs. a guy who is trying to make a living making baits on a small scale, the term affordable is very broad.

As you put some thought into this, did you have a rough idea on the price you would retail a duplicator that worked? A $$$$ amount might get you a better survey.

let us know :yay:

I'm with Tally there, different degree of affordable and don't forget me here with a smaller dollar.

And I would go for manual for simplicity. Automated to follow a model is good but fully automated with CAD/CAM the learning curve overhead could deter a lot of ppl ((they are already available anyway).

Maybe you should ask yourself this Question: Who is my target customers?

I found this yesturday.

http://213.222.12.205/Default.aspx?tabid=141

It looks like it uses a dremel as the spindle.

I would not like to attempt aluminium with it, but for making prototype molds from a soft wood, it might work. The price could have been better, but still cheaper than anything else that I have seen.

If you are already modelling on CAD, could be a solution.

NOTE:, It mentions "Gerber" conversion, Gerber is a product/file that ALL SIGN COMPANIES USE,......so, using this info, anyone that is looking for this type of work to be done, think about calling some local sign shops., we have router tables that can do this kind of thing - and also be aware that IF you do your homework and put it on a disk, the cost will be very minor....we also use a product called "sign foam", it is an extremely hard tight/closed cell hard foam. I assume it would be amazing for your guys application., It is pricey, but also comes up to 4 or 5 inches thick!, 4 foot by 8 foot sheets are around $700 canadian., you'd get a ton of lures cut outta that!, just a thought!...later (I have owned a sign shop since college - 1988...so any more info you need pm me.)

Food for thought Graphics. One thing pops into my mind and that is do sign shops work in 3D or 2D ?? Clearly lures are very much a 3D item. Carving bodies is a real bind for me and if I could get them produced at a cost effective rate I would gladly do so but I have steered clear before as I have always imagined 3D modeling would be prohbitivley expensive.

philB

Hey PhilB, as far as know, if its on a disk correctly the output will be correct. We have a guy here in Toronto area who does most of the local sign shops routering., i've seen some of his "raw" routering, and it's definitely 3 dimentional., so you MAY have to dig a bit, next time i'm over there i will take a note on what equipment he has, and i'll post it then...it may not be until next month......later

at school we just got a new 3D printer. our old one would use glue and a special dust and work in layers. The only draw back to this was that it was not very strong. Now the new one uses plastic. I dont know how it works havent seen it in action. The final product is very strong though. Hopefully in a few weeks were are gonna print a few things that we made in CAD. This is one solution but the price range is just way to expensive, but if one of your friends has one:whistle:. thats just my 2 cents

Spoopa.

I can send you a solid model of my lure body to try out the machine, if you would like. If so, talk to your CAD administrator about the export format that you require and let me know.

The body is modelled in CATIA V5 R17. See my avatar. Yes, it is true, I am a cyber space android!

Dave