ominousone

spinnerbait help...please...

O.k. I'd like to start making premium spinnerbaits. O.k. what I'm looking for is some sort of checklist so when I order I don't miss anything. I think that probably the ultra minnow is the mold I want (I could be persuaded otherwise easily though). I have always like gammy hooks but feel like owner is also a good choice(also could be persuaded here too). Wire forms... I don't have a clue. Blades... are the premium blades worth the extra loot? blades are attached with a swivel right? clevasis's are to keep distance between items on the spinnerbait right? What else, I have a ton of skirts and have either used them or read enough to feel comfortable there. Sorry to sound like a newbie, but please someone with some good knowledge or solid opinions interject here. Thank you in advance, tu you are the cat's pajama's.

First the ultra minnow mold is great! They run tru and don't roll over at high speeds.

As far as blades, I use the bulk ones from staminainc.com and have not had any problems. So for my money the high dollar ones are not worth it.

I also buy the pre bent wire forms. As far as size goes, stamina and jansnetcraft have sizing charts that tell you what to match with the weight head you are using.

Something that you didn't mention that I think is very important is the spacers and beads. You can get by using one or the other but I like to use both. Example: My favorite combo 1/2 ounce head white with red chin and red eyes w/chart.white skirt. First I put on a silver bead then a clevis with # 4 willow, then another bead (the clevis is to hold the arm blade not a spacer). Next I put on a red spacer then bend the wire and put on a #4 1/2 willow.

As far a swivels(the most expensive thing) I use the silver Bass Pro brand. I actually think Sampo makes them for Bass Pro. I have not had any problems and they are much cheaper than Sampo's.

Hope that helped.

Wow, a lot of great help so far. Does anyone think that I could get everything that I would need from stamina? Is it worth ordering from multiple sources? I don't have a bass pro that is very close to me, so that's probably out. I do have a gander mt. which has some blades and swivels, should I invest anything there?

The guys gave you some good info. One thing I noticed from your orignal post, you said "Clevices are for keeping distance between components". The clevis is to hold the front blade and allow it to spin around the wire. You will need to make sure the wire goes through the hole in the clevis on the convex side of the blade first. I hope that made sense.

Mr B

Shopping Cart Contents (nothing is final until you submit your order) item# item description unit price u/m qty cost adjust quantity here 142-01-004 Hollow Metal Beads - 1/8 inch - .046 dia (100 Pack) - Nickel $1.60 ea. 1 $1.60 change qty

then click 142-02-004 Hollow Metal Beads - 5/32 inch - .062 dia (100 Pack) - Nickel $1.80 ea. 1 $1.80 change qty

then click 142-03-004 Hollow Metal Beads - 3/16 inch - .062 dia (100 Pack) - Nickel $2.00 ea. 1 $2.00 change qty

then click 150-03-004 Easy Spin Clevis - Size 3 - Bright Nickel - 100 Pack $2.00 ea. 2 $4.00 change qty

then click 176-02-004 Spinnerbait Swivel - Size 2 - Bright Nickel - 10 Pack $4.90

$4.41 ea. 10 $49.00

$44.10 change qty

then click 207-12-040 Stainless Steel R-Bend Spinnerbait Form-(50 pack) $4.20 ea. 1 $4.20 change qty

then click 207-14-035 Stainless Steel R-Bend Spinnerbait Form-(50 pack) $3.80 ea. 1 $3.80 change qty

then click 207-38-035 Stainless Steel R-Bend Spinnerbait Form-(50 pack) $4.00 ea. 1 $4.00 change qty

then click 270-110 Ultra Minnow Spinnerbait Mold - DO-IT Mold Model: SJU-3-SA $34.95 ea. 1 $34.95 change qty

then click 545-01-008 3-D Molded Lure Eyes - Size 1 - Shimmer Silver - 20 Pack $1.90

$1.52 ea. 3 $5.70

$4.56 change qty

then click 545-01-009 3-D Molded Lure Eyes - Size 1 - Prism Gold - 20 Pack $1.90

$1.52 ea. 3 $5.70

$4.56 change qty

then click 545-01-025 3-D Molded Lure Eyes - Size 1 - Prism Red - 20 Pack $1.90

$1.52 ea. 2 $3.80

$3.04 change qty

then click 545-01-032 3-D Molded Lure Eyes - Size 1 - Prism Chart - 20 Pack $1.90

$1.52 ea. 1 $1.90

$1.52 change qty

then click 545-01-035 3-D Molded Lure Eyes - Size 1 - Solid Flo. Red - 20 Pack $1.90

$1.52 ea. 1 $1.90

$1.52 change qty

then click 679-2/0-004 Owner Cutting Point Spinnerbait Hook - Size 2/0 - 10 Pack $3.20 ea. 3 $9.60 change qty

then click 679-3/0-004 Owner Cutting Point Spinnerbait Hook - Size 3/0 - 10 Pack $3.40 ea. 3 $10.20 change qty

then click 679-4/0-004 Owner Cutting Point Spinnerbait Hook - Size 4/0 - 10 Pack $3.60 ea. 4 $14.40 change qty

then click

I just wanted to add a fiew things I thought might be helpful.

1st of all Tr186 had some Great Advise.

When I assemble, I like to use a closed eye spinnerbait shaft. I am up in the UP and most lakes have pike. I don't use a steel leader because most bass won't bite. So my compermise is to use a good sampo swivel on the line. An open eye or R bend shaft will let the swivel slide one way or the other and the lure will come in sideways. You can slide a piece of plastic tubing over the R bend to prevent this but if your makeing your own, why not use a closed eye in the first place.

When assembling, the first bead is to prevent the clevis from jaming up during the cast. After the clevis, I found that three beads before the bend worked best. However this effects how your lure will react. One or two beads can make the clevis wip from side to side and three will help it to rotate 360 degrees around the shaft. Also the blade size in the clevis will effect how it acts in the water.

I hope this was helpful. :yay: