BruceKY

1st post, new batch of crank baits

Wow, that is some tight work. Very nice.

Try a number 5 lip from Rollie and Helen's Musky shop. That thing will do just what you want it to do. The #5 lip will be about as long but its a bit wider and will wrap around the bait. The #5 lip is very forgiving as far a lip angle. You may have to make a template of it and resize it to fit that bait, but it you can do that kind of work, resizing a lip will be a breeze.

From what I can see, you may not be getting the wobble you want because the bait is a bit too wide for the bait.

You could also reduce the angle of the baits lip. It won't run as deep, but should increase the wobble factor. You need to play with and tweak it to do what you want it to do. It looks as though you have some excellent wood working skills. That's an impressive bait.

Looking at your photos again. You could also raise the line tie eye a little closer to the nose to give it a little more wobble.

I have been working with the first and second of my shad crank baits. I went ahead and painted the first, even though I have not been able to tune it the way I would like it to swim. It "hunts" excessively to the point where it will roll over in both directions at a fast retrieve.

The second however swims great. The significant difference, I believe, is the position of the line tie. It is moved closer to the nose of the bait. I actually used a little less weight in the second to get a faster rise. After painting and e-tex the first backs up slower than I would like.

I hope my sharing the lessons I am learning helps someone. Almost everything I know about lurebuilding I have learned on the net.

CUOTW,

Bruce

1 & 2.jpg

1 & 2.jpg

1 & 2.jpg

1 & 2.jpg

1 & 2.jpg

1 & 2.jpg

1 & 2.jpg

1986_thumb.attach

Please, by all means keep posting. That is high quality workmanship. How long does it take from start to ready for paint? In fact if you are willing I would love to see your process broken down in a step by step how-to posting. I for one,and probably many others, could learn a great deal from such a post. Once again, Great Work!

Bruce, very nice work.

One of my favorite things to experiment with is different lip configurations.

On wider baits, you might consider trying a "L" shaped lip similar to what you see Rapala use on their SuperShads and even some of their smaller shad baits.

That lip requires bending the polycarbonate lip or building the lip from stainless steel. Bending polycarbonate is much easier than you'd think and the L-shaped lip is very reliable for baits with a wider body such as the one you carved.

I'll post some photos when I get a chance.

Lastly, if you like the style of lip that you're working with, you might consider shortening it a bit and making it a bit wider. Again with a wider body, you have to account for the extra drag the bait creates.