ol_grayfeather

Heat Gun..... How much power??

I am needing recommendations on what size, wattage and/or temp range, of a heat gun I should get for pre-heating jigs before powder painting? I am currently using a propane torch but find that as much as one third are turning out to be "mutants." When I have tried less pre-heat time, the paint doesn't cover very well, more time and I end up melting to many of the jig heads. Sizes 1/32 oz to 3/4 oz mainly... if that matters. Thanks

Hi Grayfeather.

I was having the same problems using a propane torch. I switched to a heat gun, thanks to some recommendations from TU members, and it works much better for me. The gun I use is 1000 watts on the low setting and 1800 watts on the high setting. I use the high setting for small jigheads and 1/2 oz SB heads, don't even use the low setting anymore.

The only real advice I can give is to practice. Each size head needs to be under the heat for a different length of time. It can vary from a few seconds to 30 seconds (for me). I honestly don't even count anymore, I'll still screw a couple up but not like when I first started.

That's probably not a lot of help, but it is all about practice.

Shawn

ol_grayfeather, this is what I can tell you about heat guns. I have been using them for eight years, and would not pre-heat my jigs any other way. I can tell you that I wold not buy anything else but a Wagner. Just my opinion. I had a dual temp heatgun like Shawn had, it was a Wagner and I loved it, until I was melting some paint, and a piece of lead fell inside and shorted it out. I went and bought a Tool Shop Brand from Menards. It lasted 2 days, and stopped working. Piece of :censored: . I bought another brand from Menards, Homelite I believe. Used it for two hours,and the plastic casing started to melt. Another piece of :censored: . I went back to Menards, and bought a Wagner dual temp, variable temp. Been using it five weeks so far and no problem. I was looking for the old two speed Wagners, and I think they are private labeled for Ace Hardware. It is about $25. It looks like my old one, except for the Ace name on it. If any one knows if this is a Wagner please reply to this post. I will definitely get 2 spares....... 'm sure there are other good brands out there.

ol_grayfeather, if you want more technical info and specs on what I have pm me....

ol_grayfeather,

Another thing you can use to preheat jigs is a toaster oven. Throw a bunch of your jigs in the pan and preheat them to about 325 to 350 for about 20 minutes. Then use hemostats and pull them out and dip in a fluid bed. The toaster oven keeps the temperature consistent and you'll get good results. One person can paint around 300 jigs an hour like this.

Benjamin

ol_grayfeather, my Wagner is a model HT 3500, digital. 250 degrees to 1250 degrees on low, and 350 degrees to 1350 degrees on high. You don't need such an elaborate heat gun like this, however if you watch your sales you can get this heat gun for around $30.

Dayooper is right a toaster oven is the ONLY way to go, keeps everthing even then you can do the same thing to cure them....... if weedgaurds are used, what works for me, get some straws cut them just a little bit longer than the weedgaurd and then wrap each straw with tinfoil real nice slide it over the gaurd when baking and no problems with them melting, leave the straw in place untill jig is cool and remove and save it for another round, I have been using the same wrapped straws for six months now............:yay:

One problem with using the toaster oven for pre-heating is once they are heated up you still have to handle them with forceps or pliers. Don’t drop the jig. And if you are hanging them to heat up - that’s twice you will have to hang them. Not to mention you will be opening and closing the door constantly – turning the oven off and on.

I place a jig in the hemostats and heat it over a heat gun, sprinkle paint on (hardly ever use a fluid bed – almost all my jigs are multi colored), clean the eye of the hook, and then hang in the oven to cure. It’s all about personal preference. I don’t do this for money so I can afford to take my time.