psilvers

painting Ultra Minnow Jigheads

psilvers, if you are going to powder the ultra-minnow, then you will lose your scale detail on the jig. I don't feel that this is a bad thing. I also use a fluid bed. Especially on white, which I use for a base coat, on many of my bright colors. I have used Pro-Tech silver, and a blue top also. The Pro-Tech silver looks more like a dull chrome. I use it occasionally, definitely not my first choice. I would use the original jig you pour as a base color, and then use candy blue powder on the top side. It looks awesome. I also use a silver metallic powder, that is custom blended. It also looks awesome with candy blue powder. Put on red 3d eyes, clearcoat, and you have one fine looking jig. If you want I can send you some pictures, just pm me......

do you by any chance use an airbrush over a powder coated base? i have an ultra minnow mold on the way and am only equipped with a fluid bed for now. i read an old post about multiple colors using powder coatings and tried some multiple colors on some diamond jigs. the result was sloppy placement and the base coat (swallowing) the striping that i was applying. i am thinking that if i let the base coat flow out some the swallowing effect would be minimized. i am having a hard time coming up with ideas for diamond jigs and cant wait till my ultra minnow jig arrives. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, for all you guys that powder paint out there, try out the candy color powders, they are awesome, and you can get some very interesting shades. I got mine candy colors from Benjamin at TJ's Tackle. Here is his link www.tjstackle.com Benjamine has great prices and excellent service. Please support TU members if you can.

Akriverrat...... I have just started air brushing some jigs with Createx. It does work, the only thing is that you have to clearcoat the jig after the paint has dried to seal in the paint. Check out dampeoples work, one of TU's members. He air brushes his lead jigs, and does some nice work. PM him, I'm sure he will help you out with any more questions on air brushing over powder paint. I may be wrong, but I do not believe you can use lacquer paint over powder paint. I do no that vinyl paint on powder changes the color. Once you bake your jigs, you do not need to clear coat. I only clear coat my jigs and spinnerbaits that have eyes, to keep them from falling off. I also can put a max of 5 colors on a jig, and the best one to do this on is the ultra-minnow, since it is pretty flat, and has a lot of surface area. I will try to post some pics today, if I have time. If you have any more ???? you can PM me

For powder paint I only use candy colors, they are the only ones that are transparent enough to show the scales. For other colors I use rattle cans or hand brush with water base acrylic (sp?) and top coat with epoxy. Try mixing 1 drop of worm dye or blade dip into some epoxy and add a bit of fine glitter. For some paint tips, check out the hard bait section...them boys know how to paint!!!

Pete

The easiest way to get good results and use multi colors on the UL minnow is using brushes and a heat gun.

Use a fresh poured jig with a clear overcoat for chrome affect. I use the prismatic additive (from Columbia Coatings) mixed with CC clear down the middle of the jig - it hi-lites the scale pattern.

Have done up to 5 colors on the UL minnow.

Ted (with the PP) and Sterling (with the gun) do some absolutely great stuff.

Pete, if you want a shiny chrome finish, do what LedHed said. I do the same thing. I only pour pure lead. With that said, when my jigs come out of the mold, they are as shiny as a brand new quarter. Then to get a chrome finish, just coat your freshly poured jig with a top coat. You can't beat the brilliance of this process with anything else I have seen. It just plain works. If you want to add color to your jig prior to top coating, then do it then. You can also dip your jigs in Spike-It blade dip. You will be very happy with the results.....Ted

Just wanted to know after you dip the jig in topcoat how long will it look like chrome. Will it stay shinny for as long as air don't get to the lead or what. In the past I have tried epoxy on new poured lead and it worked some what but if topcoat works for a long time that would be an easy fix. THANKS

Hairjig, my topcoat is Devcon 2T 30 minute. I have noticed that lead in my case doesn't have to be top coated right away. I have poured lead one day, and top coated a week later, with still excellent shiney results. On powder painting, you could wait at least 2 weeks. IMHO. (Temp and humidity, will oxidize lead faster.) If you want to powder coat 3 months later or more, like I do when I build up stock and let it sit on a shelf, spray your lead with self etching primer. You can keep lead this way for years, just wipe off the dust, and start painting. Sorry to get off track. Once you use your jigs in open water, and you break the epoxy seal sort of speaking, your jig will start oxidizing. Like I said in the past these are lead jigs and they are soft. They also are a dispensible commodity. Nothing lasts forever. I lose more jigs, than I have to worry about chipped paint or jigs oxidizing......... Anyway, isn't that why we make these ourselves to be creative and try new colors??????????? Ted

got my minnow mold today and poured and painted a few up. pretty cool little mold. the translucent looked great as it kept the detail of the scale pattern and i learned a bit on tapping the powder from a brush. this jig will keep me busy for some time getting it figured out and i am happy with the results so far. i got three colors on them for now and will practice with small spots and maybe a lateral line soon. thanks for the tips guys and happy fishing.

john

John, I use stencils. stick on elect. tape for kill dots, and many other numerous things to achieve what I want, the same as Ledhed does. The question I always ask myself is this. With all the time I try to push the process to the next step, does the customer or the fish care. Probably not. The customer likes the pretty colors, the fish just wants food. You wouldn't believe all the trial an error I've gone through to try to achieve different things. It's definitely not about money at this point, because you can't ask enough for the time you spend. To me it's about seeing how far I can push the extreme, and then if I can do it economically. We all should be proud of our work. It's a reflection on what we know no matter how it looks. Yes we can always do better, that's why TU is here to help others and share ideas. Then someone else comes along, with something new, and the wheels in our head start turning all over again.

Just saw this thread, thanks for the kind comment! And LedHed...I've got a chain wallet, might just put a hook on it!!

I personally do not like powder paint as anything more than a basecoat on a smooth surface, not that it can't be done, I've seen it! As far as the CC paints, check their candy colors, the red and the blue are really nice. Some of them are a bit 'heavy' and don't flow in the fluid bed cups as well as CSI paint, but they work. you just need to watch your heat.

Good luck, and show us some pictures!

i have a few colors from component systems but i also have a couple that i got from ebay. definately more cost efficient and are working fine. is there a certain type of powder coating that i should be looking for when buying from various companys? i am definately not in this for the money, maybe pay for my material is all. mainly doing this to save on all the hardware i buy up every summer and something to kill the time during our long winters up here. where would a guy find some stencils small enough for jigs and baits? i havent seen any in any of the tackle catalougues as of yet although i havent really searched yet either. thanks for the tips guys and good fishing to you all.

john

John, I use powder paint from 8 or 9 companies. They all work well for me. If Pro-Tech is more readily available, and cost efficient, use that. If I were you I would practice with any powder you have to see what works, how to blend in colors, and so on. I usually use a wht base coat on all my bright colored jigs. It intensifies the hot pinks and ylw chart's. All other colors are put on as needed. You just got to try different techniques, and see what works for you. As far as stencils, I cut and make my own. For gill accents you can take a compass and strike two arcs at different radii on the same centerline. This will give you a gill with tapered ends and a wider middle. Make the marks on a piece of red or blk elect'l tape. Then you can use an exacto or a radius cutter and cut it out and stick it on your jig. Apply Devcon over it and you have a jig with gills. Oh yeah make two, one for the other side, otherwise your jig will swim sideways.... Just kidding..........