tje1989

Spray Can Paints

I am a poor High school student that can't afford a nice airbrush and compressor set. I can make decnt crankbait bodies but I screw them up when I paint with a brush. I can't stand seeing the brush strokes when I finish. So the question I have for you guys is should I use spray paints or just buy a real cheap airbrush from Walmart? Also, if I use spray paints, what type of paint shoud I use? Would the cheap walmart paint work or would hobby spray cans be better? Any Ideas that would help me out would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS,

tje1989

TJE,

I have a used Paasche airbrush that you can have if you want it. You will still have to scrounge up a compressor somewhere......look around at a second-hand store or something. Send me a PM with your mailing address and I will send it out to you.

As far as paints, buy the "apple barrel" or similar water-based cheap paints at wal-mart..less than a dollar per color and thin them with water. You want to thin them down to about the consistency of milk...just a bit thicker than water. Start spraying at 40 PSI..if they won't spray thin a bit more. If they spray and run all over, thicken up a bit.

You can use a 2 dollar can of Krylon white as a your base primer, let dry, then come over the top with the cheap wal-mart paints, let dry, then clear with Devcon 2-ton (also at Wal-Mart) and you will be ready to rock!

jed v.

Well, I'm not in high school anymore but that doesn't mean I'm not poor LOL. I don't own an airbrush so all of my lures are done with spray cans or brush or a combination of the two. For my spray paint I use Krylon and for the brushing I've used everything from enamel to acrylics to fingernail polish!

Next lure you make grab some spray cans and try your hand at shading, blending and maybe some scales (search past posts for info on scale painting) and then maybe add some brushed accents like this one I made last fall. is.php?i=98411&img=bass_dozer_001a.JPG Above all don't get discouraged, practice a few techniques and develope your own style. Then everyone will be trying to paint like YOU!

Stick with it and post up some pics of your progress.

I used spray cans for years before graduating to an airbrush. I still paint a few patterns that I use spray cans. Don't feel handicapped because you don't have an airbrush. With some practice and creativity you can make some really nice paint jobs, especially with some of the metallic sprays availible.

mossy maker

I bought an air compressor on E-bay for $15.00 and two airbrush sets from Harbor Freight Tools.com for less than $10.00 each. Being careful with masks and buying smaller tips for the airbrushes you can get started. Apple Barrel paints work great and have more colors available than expensive airbrush paints. Just thin them down some to the right level. The dollar stores have all sorts of neat things available to use. I made a home made paint booth and vent system and a home made dryer like Hiro's and about a total cost to start - under $100. I'll upgrade as I get better. - If I get better.

Many of the folks with rattle cans do some GREAT work though!