jds199

Zara Spook

Hello all. I have been lurking around this website for awhile in an effort to determine whether or not to make the jump into making my own lures. I have to say that this is a great site and the lures that you all make are exceptional. I have decided to try a lure modification before I jump into lure making. I want to shorten a super spook. I read an article that mentioned this and it sounds like an interesting concept. I used a hand held pipe cutter to cut the lure in half. And then the same to take out the section to shorten. My first question is how can I strip the bait before I cut it. It seemed that the hardest part of cutting was getting through the hard paint before I got to the plastic. My second question is what will be my best way to put the lure back together.

Keep in mind I am new and really have no idea what I am doing. I was just proud that I was able to cut the bait without destroying it. I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!!

hey, I read that article too! ingenious use of a pipe cutter! I use a Dremel flap sander to remove finish quickly when possible. But if you're going the whole route and adding weight so the tail will drag, why remove the finish at all? It's weight is insignificant on a 4 1/2" Spook. Just give it a light sanding with 400 grit paper. As far as gluing it back together, I'd probably try epoxy. You need to sand the edges flat after using the cutter to get maximum glue surface. Tape it together with some cellophane tape until it's cured and then sand the area smooth.

Thank you for your reply. The reason that I was looking to remove the paint was because as I was cutting the finish was coming off in large chunks and it seemed that was the hardest part to get through. So if I use a dremel sander I would just want to do it at the actual cut point so I didn't have to use the pipe cutter to get through. If that makes sense.

As I said I am as new to this as they come. When you say epoxy, where would I get that and is there any particular type?

Thanks!!

First off, where is this article I would love to read it. Next, the epoxy refered to here is usually devcon and is avaliable at Wal-Mart in the home improvement section. I would also look into maybe making a small, maybe like 1/4", sleeve to epoxy inside the lure at the split to reinforce it. Keep us updated on your progress!

-Trey

A Dremel flap sander is OK. A Dremel drum sander will damage the bait's plastic. Most often, I just peel and slice the finish off with a sharp thin blade (a Swiss Army), then sand with 400 grit. There are just too many types of clearcoat, finish, and lure plastic to use any chemical method reliably. gtlegs' sleeve idea is a good one. I doubt I could find a perfect size collar, but I could superglue some acetate pieces into the interior of the joint area to guide and reinforce the joint. Devcon 2 Ton or even the Devcon 5 Min would probably be a secure joint.

Fellas,

Thanks so much for the input. If you have anymore ideas...keep them coming. I got busy this week and have been unable to get to this project. Darn work always gets in the way!!! Hopefully this afternoon.

Trey - The article was in the latest Bass Times. I have no idea how it will work or if I will be able to get this thing back together. But I am going to give it a try.

Thanks!!

Actually I don't think it was an article per se. It was a short sidebar in an article about spooks, referencing a mod that Penny Berryman likes. It says her favorite is a modified Super Spook given to her by a friend that has the center section including the hook cut out and steel ball bearings inserted to give the Spook a tail-down attitude and an overall length of 4.5". Sorta makes it into a LC Sammy, doesn't it? :)