Epoxy coat chipping?
6 replies to this topic
Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:33 PM
I have been painting my own crankbaits now and doing pretty good for what im wanting. My only problem is when im fishing these baits they seem to chip easier than a regular crankbait finish. What am i doing wrong, or do i have the wrong stuff? I am using devcon 2 ton epoxy.
Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:10 PM
Same problem... Make sure you let the bait sit for days at room temp before you fish them... Like 5 to 7 days.... I have found they work better doing that... See if that helps.
Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:50 PM
how are you applying it and be be exact.....from the mixing to the curing and are you using heat to help the devcon flow?
Posted 15 March 2007 - 02:54 PM
no im just putting some on a paper plate and then mixing it really good and then applying with a paint brush. Then i let idry for a day or two.
Posted 15 March 2007 - 04:22 PM
would be hard to say what the exact cause is......but it is either something you are doing or maybe "old" 2 ton devcon.....
I have posted this many times but I will post again to try and help you discover the problem. This is "EXACTLY" what I do.
1) tear off a piece of Aluminum foil and fold in half (shinny side up). Lay this on a CLEAN flat surface.
2) put equal amounts of devcon 2 ton on foil. (tip... I keep my devcon stored with the tips pointing straight up. this keeps the air at the top and when you push up the epoxy comes out in equal parts).
3) mix epoxy good...( i use a "lolipop" stick you can find at walmart in the craft section. been using the same stick for over a year). start mixing in one direction, then mix the othe direction. Now, scrape the epoxy back together and mix again, then scrape the epoxy back together. Don't worry about the air bubbles you see.....these are not a problem as I will describe later.
4) Brush.....you want a fairly stiff brush, any brush that has 1/4" or maybe 3/8" nylon brush should work fine.
5) get a big glob of mixed devcon on the brush end and starting at the head of the bait, apply the epoxy...do not spread it thin at this point. What you want to do is get the whole bait covered with epoxy. work your way to the tail. Now that the bait is completely covered with 2 ton, start back at the head and brush the devcon down to the tail. If you start getting too much devcon at the tail, simply "brush" the excess on the foil to remove from brush. the brush will flow very easy over the devcon.....if it seems to stick or not be smooth, you do not have enough devcon in that spot. If there are any air bubbles, brush them out. This process needs to be completed before the epoxy starts to set. If the epoxy starts to set and you are still brushing, you will create more problems and more air bubbles.
6) now you need to spin the lure until the epoxy sets up enough that it will not "run". some say 30-45 minutes is all it takes, some say 2 hours. Mine just happen to spin for 24 hours on a drying wheel while I am at work.
7) get you a jar or a can that has a good seal on the lid. pour some acetone in it. Wipe / squeeze your brush to get some of the excess epoxy off and put the brush in the acetone. Do the same thing with the lolipop stick. After about 15 minutes you can remove both and wipe them down with a paper towel and "flick" the brush and they are ready to use again.
I do not use any heat to help spread or make the devcon flow. Some do and if that works for them..so be it.
9) Room temperature when applying. Seems like anywhere from 70-80 degrees is the best. In the heat of summer when it gets to be 100 degrees, the epoxy will set up faster.
10) I hope this helps you guys out. I am sure there are several ways to apply devcon, this is just how I do it.
Devcon is not rocket science and don't make it harder than it has to be. There are hundreds of posts on devcon, so if you still have problems, do a search and start reading.
again, just my
Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:29 PM
Tally has nailed it for 2Ton. Also make sure your bait rest for a while, before applying the 2Ton epoxy. Also make sure your mixing consistent. When you open a NEW tube of 2Ton squirt it in to a mixing cup or paper to get the mix right. Sometimes with 2Ton on a new tube, you will get an inconsistent mix. But I hardly use 2Ton now except on BIG HUGE BAITS Like this one I did for a friend in Texas.
These are Top Water TUNA Baits. Charlie made them and I Put them into their Armani Suits.
Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:23 PM
I had the same problems when I first started out. My problem came from the sealer I was using. I changed up to a sand and sealer and then went with a latex primer and my problem was fixed. Since then I have changed to a base white Laquer paint and skipped the latex primer and it works fine. I used some this winter and spring and really was rough on them and I had no problems with chipping.