bassn1

powder paint problem

I painted a few jigs with last of some old black powder paint. They came out nice and Glossy.:yay: I dumped in a new jar of Protec paint into my fluid bed and they came out dull looking. Bad batch of paint? too much or not enough heat? Protec just isn't glossy to begin with? I preheated the jigs for 10 min at 350 then dipped, the paint flowed smooth and looked glossy. I cured them at 350 for 10 min..came out dull. Did a second batch at 300 and a third batch at 400 deg ...same results. :cry: Any idea's on this one? The side of the jar says 350 at 10 min.

They should have come out nice and glossy. I had the very same problem with Pro-Tec white a couple of months ago. Opened a new container and it had a pink tint to it. I didn't think much of it at the time. Preheated the head and dipped in fluid bed, nice and glossy. Cured in oven at 375 for 10 minutes and they came out dull. Tried different temps with no change. Contacted CSI and they checked what they had in stock. Same stuff, same problem. Sent it back for them to test while they sent me a new batch. It had a blue tint to it. Preheated the dead and dipped in fluid bed, nice and glossy. Cured in oven at 375 for 10 minutes and the new stuff blistered and ran like water. Totally ruined 200 buzzbaits on this trial. Contacted CSI and explained what the new batch was doing and they had been testing the old batch and found same results as I had. They took and experimented with the stuff and found that if they mixed 2 to 1 pink to blue, it worked like it should. So they sent me enough to compensate. Now you are having a similar problem with the black? I worried now. I have always found CSI to be some great stuff to work with and they stand behind their product, but I can't afford to do their Lab work for them, nor should anyone else. If I were you, I would contact them ASAP and get it resolved. During my episode, the pink and blue tinted white was all they had in stock. Made me wonder how many others got bad white, and now the black is in question. Yep, I'm really worried now.

I'll have to trash what I have now and try a new jar. I got this stuff on sale last fall at Sportsmans Warehouse or Gander Mountain. (maybe thats why it was on sale) I got a jar of red at the same time and used it last night for the first time, same results...dull. I'll try a new jar and check it out, after that I'm going to be looking for a new supplier.

Just a note for some of you powder painters out there. Pro-tech is not the only supplier of powder. There are at least 30 places, and there quality is great. I on the other hand have not had any problems with Pro-tech. If someone wants this list, I can e-mail it or post it here. I also don't know how expensive some of them are, so your on your own there.

Ok, guys here is the link www.powdercoatsecrets.com/id17.html Also check out www.powdercoatsecrets.com website, they have some good info there, however this powder painting is on a much larger scale...I don't know how current the info is, but it will give you a place to look, and make a lot of phone calls, to get pricing. I know for a fact that almost all of these companies have color catalogs.

The pink in with the white could of been that they didn't strip there extruder,hopper,kibbler,screens or chill roles before they ran the white. As for the color being dull that sounds like something is not right with the chemistry/gloss.

If any of you need something coated I may be able to do it or give you some powder for you to try.